House on the Hill

Austin, TX

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

House on the Hill is a 10-acre retreat that rests on the top of a hill in the outskirts of Austin, Texas. This venue has three indoor and outdoor locations for wedding ceremonies and receptions set against the backdrop of Texas Hill Country. Sweeping views of the countryside, aged oak trees and meandering paths provide natural backgrounds for wedding photos set in a serene setting. Three cottages and a main house with guest rooms provide overnight accommodations for the wedding party or guests as well as a honeymoon suite.

Ceremony Site. The outdoor ceremony site accommodates up to 150 guests. A wrought iron arch marks the grassy aisle leading to the stone waterfall under the oak trees. Couples exchange vows here with the sound of running water in the background.

Pavilion. The Pavilion provides space for a ceremony or outdoor reception at which up to 150 guests enjoy dancing under the stars. Exposed wooden beams and Mexican-style lights give the area a rustic feel, while the swimming pool and pond add a touch of tranquility.

Great Room. The Great Room inside the house accommodates up to 120 guests for an indoor ceremony. Adorned with a one-of-a-kind honeycomb tile floor, vaulted ceilings, large picture windows and wood paneling, this room has charming southwestern ambience.

House on the Hill offers a weekend package that gives couples and their guests exclusive use of the property from Friday afternoon until midday Sunday. They can add additional days for a fee if they need more time or can choose to use the venue for a single day. The rental fee includes tables and chairs for a six-hour event that includes the rehearsal, ceremony and reception.

Couples are able to work with vendors of their choice so they can customize the event to meet their needs and budget. This includes choosing a caterer as well as bringing in any alcohol for the event. The secluded nature of the venue means there are no volume restrictions, so couples may use amplified music indoors and outdoors and can play music throughout the duration of the event. Guests may smoke outside and a moderate climate makes the venue available throughout the year.

House on the Hill is a beautiful location with buildings designed by local artist and architect Bill Hoey. It works well for a destination wedding. Guest accommodations at the venue include the following amenities at no additional charge:

• Full kitchen facilities in the main house and cottages
  • Towels
  • Toiletries
  • Laundry facilities

Spectacular Hill Country Views!

Visiting Hours -Tuesday March 21st from 4pm-7pm -Monday March 27th from 4pm-7pm -Saturday April 1st, 12pm-3pm -Tuesday April 4th, 4pm-7pm -Monday April 10th from 4pm-7pm -Sunday April 23rd from 2:30pm-5:30pm -Sunday April 30th from 2:30pm-5:30pm June/July 2017 Specials - The following weekends have been discounted AND include a 3rd night of lodging FREE! Enjoy the venue from 3pm Thursday until 12pm Sunday with 3 nights of onsite lodging for 20 guests included. -June 8th-11th, 2017 (reduced by $500) -July 20th-23rd, 2017 (reduced by $500 August 2017 Specials - All remaining weekends in August now include a 3rd night of onsite lodging for 20 guests FREE! Enjoy the entire venue from 3pm Thursday until 12pm Sunday. Tables and chairs are included.

• Outdoor - Covered

Backyard, Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Historic Venue, Hotel, Park

Rentals + Equipment

319 Addie Roy Road, Austin, TX (512) 327-5377

The perfect place to have the wedding YOU want!!

Reviewed on 8/24/2011 Kelley R

My fiance and I had this place recommended to us by a friend who thought we would love it. She told us it had a rustic but pretty look - the perfect combo for us. We had been to one place before the HOTH open house, but hadn't loved it - you had to use their in-house caterer,... Read More bartender, and decorations. Even though it meant more work on our part, I wanted to have our touch on choosing and creating. We instantly fell in love with House on the Hill! My fiance had a lot of out-of-state family coming in and we knew it would be so handy to have them stay right there together and be able to carpool together around a foreign city. Dolly was helpful fielding all my questions from the beginning and we could instantly imagine our wedding in the main event room. We absolutely loved the freedom to create our day - they hand the keys over and let you party! We booked our date that first day! Dolly was always responsive when I emailed and was very helpful when we went to more open houses to go over our details - she even sent info to me over email so I could read it before we got there and things got busy. We loved being able to shop around for vendors and bring everyone in to have the wedding that WE wanted to have. My fiance's family absolutely loved staying there and our pictures are magical on the beautiful grounds of House on the Hill. The pool was very popular during our three-digit degree Texas summer, and it was so great to have the whole place to ourselves so all the kids could run around. We would HIGHLY recommend House on the Hill for anything! Planning on renting it again sometime in our life!

Reviewed on 9/30/2016 Toana M

This venue is perfect!! You can have your rehearsal dinner, wedding, and brunch after your wedding... My family was able to spend 2 nights here and enjoy the pool and nice views.. You can make the venue look super romantic on your wedding day, this venue lets you pick any cater,... Read More you can bring your own alcohol , hired whoever you like for all of your wedding needs :) we were able to stay up all night partying without having to worry about getting kicked out or cleaning up, and the price is great!!!!! Highly recommended, the stuff are awesome and always respond to your calls and emails super fast.

2016-10-05T12:02:44 Response from the vendor

We were happy to host your weekday wedding Toana! Pandora and I wish y'all the best. Congratulations, -Lynn McCann Events Manager

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Summer N

I recently had a wedding at House on the Hill and it was beyond amazing. We had the property for the whole weekend. This allowed us not to only have our wedding there but also our reception, rehearsal dinner and house our wedding party. It was a private resort with your closest... Read More friends and family. Lynn and her staff were easy to work with and answered all of our questions along the way. I was highly recommend House on the Hill from a friend that previously got married there and I would highly recommend to anybody else looking for an amazing venue with amazing staff.

Reviewed on 3/20/2017 Destin H

We had a wonderful time at House on the Hill! The venue is beautiful, the housing options were great for our guests, and the staff were extremely helpful and supportive in the run up to the event. I loved that we could use our own vendors and that we had the cabins for our... Read More close guests to stay in. If you are looking for a beautiful, intimate outdoor wedding, then House on the Hill can't be beat!

Reviewed on 12/12/2016 Celeste G

Our stay at House on the Hill was absolutely what we wanted. Weather was not on our side however there were still so many options to make it beautiful! I highly recommend this as an option if you have family coming in from out of town or just want to give your guests a... Read More beautiful place to stay. Best of austin for sure.

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Cynthia M

My husband and I got married here on October 1 and had a great experience. We especially liked the ability to house our sets of parents and wedding party. We even booked an extra night for a very reasonable cost and were grateful to have a long weekend with our closest friends... Read More and family. The venue was beautiful, and we also had the flexibility to choose our own vendors which was an awesome luxury. Would highly recommend for any couple wanting to get married in a beautiful setting with amazing views where you'll have plenty of time with family and friends and the flexibility to construct your perfect weekend and keep the party going for as long as you'd like, all for an extremely generous rate.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Alice Y

We recently had our wedding ceremony, reception, and post-wedding brunch at House on the Hill. All of our guests had glowing remarks on the beauty and serenity of the venue. We loved the intimate setting, amazing hill country vistas, beautiful house/cottages, and the rustic feel... Read More of the grounds. It is decorated so well that we barely even needed to set up anything. We wanted to make our event very personal, and enjoyed the freedom to choose our own vendors, bring our own food/drinks, and make our wedding special and unique to us. Lynn, the coordinator, was very patient and helped us with all of our questions. This is the perfect place to celebrate with your closest family and friends. We can't recommend this venue enough!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Marcel B

This is the best Venue we found in Austin, TX for what my wife and I wanted and the pricing. The House on the Hill is a beautiful home converted into a venue with Cottages. The views are awesome, I also love the fact that not only can you have the ceremony there but you can have... Read More the reception there as well. Of course with the reception comes lots of fun and no need to worry if you have a overnight stay scheduled you'll be well taken care of. I would recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Megan B

House on the Hill is such a gorgeous venue; with personality! All our friends and family members kept saying how much they liked the venue and that it's beautiful. I love the fact that you are able to rent the venue for the weekend so you have time to clean up and relax! The... Read More privacy is also the plus side to renting this venue. It's big enough to accommodate your family. There are no restrictions on vendors, bartenders, officer present, etc. The only suggestion I would give is have more comfortable beds. Other than that the venue was perfect! I would suggest it to any bride and groom to rent.

Reviewed on 8/17/2016

Beautiful venue! On our wedding day it rained just a bit. We thought it would be horrible, but House on the Hill has a place for every situation. If you're looking for simply a venue look elsewhere, but if you're looking for a temporary home stay at house on the hill.

Reviewed on 6/08/2016 Tatia T

The House on the Hill is an absolutely beautiful outside/inside wedding and reception venue! Beautiful waterfall to get married in front of and take pictures. The luscious green landscaping and lighting also make this venue picture perfect during the day as well as at night! The... Read More interior decorating of the various rooms available are all tastefully done too. The views of the sunrise and the sunset are also picture perfect over the Austin hills. A fair amount of chairs and tables are available, even for my 100+ guests. Also, the freedom in which to move furniture and the available chairs allowed for my creativity to shine at our wedding. We had a great time and I am sure that our guests did too!

2016-06-08T12:52:14 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words Tatia! We are thrilled that you had such a fantastic time at House on the Hill and we were honored to be apart of your wedding. Once again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Reviewed on 5/14/2016

House on the hill was the perfect venue. It allowed for affordable lodging for 20 of our out of town guests for a few days. It was such a beautiful venue that much decor was not needed. Lynn and Pandora were very accommodating and helpful with all of our questions. We HIGHLY... Read More recommend this venue

I loveeeeed our wedding!

Reviewed on 11/23/2015

Our wedding was amazing. I wish I could relive the day over and over. There is so much space at this venue that it never feels crowded. We really didn't even need much decorating because the venue is so beautiful on it's own. Our wedding had only about 100 guests, but it can... Read More hold up to 150. We had both the ceremony and reception here, we also chose to add the cottages to our contract. Our guests were able to have fun all day and night, and a place to stay if they had had a little too much fun. Lynn and Pandora were both so helpful with everything. I would highly recommend House On The Hill for any occasion.

House on the Hill

Reviewed on 11/19/2015

We could not have asked for a more beautiful venue to have my son and daughter in law's wedding. The house is nestled up in the trees of Westlake. It has amazing views, accommodations for out of town guests or the wedding party. It has all the table & chairs you need. This venue... Read More is perfect for a small wedding and the staff is a joy to work with. It's only minor downfall is their parking...it is very limited.

Simply Awesome!

Reviewed on 11/14/2015 Lauren M

We loved our stay! The venue was exactly what we were looking for. Not only did we have complete freedom and privacy, but there was plenty of room for our families and friends to stay as well over the weekend.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Bonnie B

We loved house on the hill!! My fiancé and I imagined a picturesque outdoor hill country wedding, and house on the hill far exceeded our expectations. We loved being able to provide overnight accommodations to our friends and family who came from out of town. The waterfall at... Read More the alter provided the perfect serene atmosphere for the ceremony and looks stunning when lit up at night. We were able to fit a 10 piece band under the outside pavilion and the intimate dance floor had the party going late into the night. The venue has several balconies with fantastic hill country views along with patios and decks that provided great spaces for different groups to hang out. They recently got new chairs that looked great and saved us the money and hassle of renting our own. All of our guests commented on how beautiful everything was and we highly recommend House on The Hill for your wedding.

Amazing Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/02/2015

My finance and I spent many hours finding our wedding venue, and the House of the Hill was the best decision we could have made. This wedding venue is really just stunning, with the right mix of beautiful views, landscaping, and ambiance. It is amazing how many good things this... Read More venue provides, first it allows you to have 20 guests to sleep in comfortable rooms. It was really great to have a good portion of the wedding party at the venue, and the setup was a lot easier with more time allocated. My wife and I rented this venue from Thursday at 3:00 PM till Sunday at 12:00 PM, which really helped us get venue ready for our guests. We loved the fact that this venue has an outdoor area for a ceremony, and even an indoor option if weather doesn’t cooperate. The indoor area is where we had our wedding rehearsal dinner, and it was plenty of room for our 50+ guests. For our wedding we got married right in front of the fountain and it was stunning. The wedding venue just updated their chairs, which really made the table settings pop at both the reception and the rehearsal dinner. One of the best things that this venue provided, was amazing lighting and views, with a wraparound patio showing the best Austin has to offer. Our photographer was overwhelmed by the amount of great lighting, picture opportunities, and even feared that his next wedding shoot was going to be disappointment because of how amazing the House on the Hill was. I have no hesitation in saying that I would recommend this to my venue to my friends, family, and complete strangers. I also know that our wedding party, family, and friends were amazed at how beautiful the House on the Hill was during our event.

Pictures don't do this place justice!

Reviewed on 8/24/2015 Karina M

Me and my wife happen to stumble on this place with pure luck when trying to choose a venue for our wedding. We wanted a venue that would allow for an inside/outside event; but also allow us to do our own thing in regards to vendors and set up. Lynn is an amazing event... Read More manager! Anything and everything we needed she was extremely responsive and helpful throughout the whole process from start to finish. Everything from the view, to the grounds, and even the rustic type of feel the cabins have were just simply beautiful. You can do so many things and create so many different set ups there with how much space you have to host your friends and family. In a nutshell, I do not think there is a better venue in Austin that allows so much freedom, while still be very affordable and having such a beautiful property. This venue is a must for anyone looking into an indoor/outdoor wedding!

Love House on the Hill

Reviewed on 6/22/2015

House on the Hill is a beautiful venue. The outside area in front of the waterfall was a lovely backdrop for the wedding party. The main house has a great place for the reception with lots of additional porches providing wonderful views. The outdoor pavilion was great for... Read More dancing and the additional cottages were cozy and comfortable for the wedding party to stay overnight. Pandora and Lynn were very helpful to work with as well. We would highly recommend House on the Hill for a beautiful wedding. Enjoy!

House on the hill reception venue

Reviewed on 6/03/2015

I really liked the place. We reserved it overnight and it was great. I wish we had taken the weekend package to enjoy the place more during the day. The check out is early enough that you don't get to enjoy that day as much, so if you are reserving overnight definitely go for... Read More the next day as well. The managers are really friendly and helpful and you can reach them with any questions. If you aren't in town they will definitely try to accommodate you to the best of their ability.

Best Wedding Ever

Reviewed on 4/25/2015 Rebecca R

This venue was perfect for me. You get it for the whole weekend and have no time restraints for your wedding and plenty of time to decorate, there are also some rooms available at the venue that way you have more time to spend with your close family and or friends. I also like... Read More that right on their website you can see the prices and what weekends are available. We staid thursday-Sunday. Adding on an extra day was pretty cheap. Lynn and Pandora were always great with answering my questions promptly with emails and letting me setup multiple site visits. The only regulation for this venue is no tents, other than that, let your imagination run wild. I even had fire dancers out in open outside area for my wedding and we all jumped in the pool afterwards. It was awesome. The views are awesome. My only complaints are that the parking is limited at the venue, some of my guests had to park at the bottom and walk up the hill and as the name says it's a house on a hill, so it's a bit homey and dated. So we took on the task of turning a home into a brightly colored wedding venue. So we had to hide a lot of their decorations/fake plants/pictures/books/national geographics and then return it all back it's place on Sunday. Also the chairs they have available for guests are awful, I wish they would just replace them already, hideous plastic maroon things that you would likely see at a college lecture hall. So I and most others rent chairs. They let you leave your chairs in the outdoor storage area since most rentals charge you more for Sunday pick up. So it's nice that House on the Hill lets you keep rentals there for an extra day or two. But, again I loved this place mostly for the fact of we didn't have any time constraints or other regulations and could party to our hearts content!

house on the hill

Reviewed on 4/03/2015 Crystal G

I have nothing bad to say about The House On The Hill. Some pros included the appropriate amenities, great location, great value, flexibility of vendors, no noise restrictions, privacy, awesome view, wonderful atmosphere. The provided tables and chairs was a great money saver,... Read More having the freedom to move these (and any other furniture) made our wedding day a breeze. We also appreciated the freedom to bring in our own vendors; we used basic catering service, a friend who is a 'retired' bar tender, and a family member was our 'coordinator' (huge budget saver!). Our wedding was so beautiful and our guests seemed very happy and relaxed because of the beautiful surroundings, they could not stop commenting on how beautiful the venue was (still can't!). The venue has great outdoor lighting as well!(we decorated the entire pavilion for dinner and most of our guests chose to sit or stand in the 'garden' area because everything was so beautiful!) The size offered the perfect balance of intimacy and space for our event. The lodging options were especially nice considering all of the out of town guests and a few locals that did not need to drive afterwards! If you are looking for a venue offering premium value and quality and flexibility look no further than The House On the Hill!!!!

Review of House on the Hill

Reviewed on 3/19/2015 Sheri G

The House on the Hill Venue is phenomenal! It was so helpful to have accommodations for up to 20 people. The grounds are beautiful and we happened to have amazing weather, so hosting people outside and having the band under the pavilion couldn't have been better. We had 120... Read More guests and an additional 15 servers/band members/valets and it never felt crowded or too full. The only challenge was figuring out parking, but that went smoothly. I so enjoyed working with Lynn who answered all of my many questions throughout the planning process and exhibited amazing Hospitality!

rainy day +my wedding day

Reviewed on 11/14/2014 amanda t

My wedding was on October 11...i had been with my boyfriend for 10yrs so needless to say I had been planning for my wedding for a long time. After much research trying to find the perfect place we found house on the hill . I fell in love with venue the moment i arrived there .... Read More The atmosphere, location ,price everything about the venue was everything i wanted an more.

House on the Hill Rainy Wedding

Reviewed on 10/05/2014 Lorna H

Our wedding was magical at House on the Hill and it was fostered by the lovely and intimate venue. I would do it all over again. The true value in this venue is the length of rental and the sleeping arrangements. We rented it from Thursday - Monday. My immediate family and... Read More friends flew in from England so it was huge for us to be able to offer them lodging - it allowed us to spend more time with them and helped with the cost of their trips immensely. We were subject to a lot of rain which, admittedly, is highly unlikely and out of their control but worth mentioning the challenges... We had 100 guests and being restricted to the covered spaces was tricky. It was made doable by my incredibly wonderful army of friends who made sure I was oblivious to all the logistical challenges and re-shuffling. It did, however, make for a stressful week prior to the wedding as I pondered the possibility of rain - none of the "back-up options" seemed really desirable. On the positive side, the rain forcing us in to smaller spaces created an incredible and intimate energy which was what ultimately made the wedding what it was. Never thought I'd say it - but I'd take the rain again. My one niggling qualm about the venue was the terrible chairs that they offer. They are cheap, faded maroon office chairs and are a huge disservice to what is such a beautiful setting. I have spoken to other Brides from this venue and they feel the same. We ended up renting white chairs which is an unfortunate additional cost for us to burden when we are already paying so much for the venue. It's important to note than this turned out to be essential to our wedding being inside as the maroon chairs are much wider and it was a already tight squeeze with the narrower rented chairs. It also improved the look of the room vastly as I believe the maroon chairs would have made it dark and drab. Purchasing white chairs would be such a relatively small investment for the venue and, I believe, would greatly improve satisfaction. Overall - we had such an amazing and memorable experience and were immensely happy with our choice of venue.

2016-09-27T15:28:39 Response from the vendor

I am happy to announce that we have bought 150 brand new natural wood folding chairs to replace our older set of maroon chairs. These are included with all rentals at no extra cost. I appreciate your feedback Lorna and all of your kind words!