New Leaf Restaurant

Restaurant

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering

1 Margaret Corbin Dr, New York, NY (212) 568-5323

Reviewed on 6/21/2017 Melissa M

My husband and I were married last Saturday and had our ceremony on Linden Terrace and reception at New Leaf. My overall experience with New Leaf was not terrible but not great either. The best part of New Leaf is the gorgeous setting, you truly can't beat the location. New... Read More Leaf affords you a Manhattan wedding with a Hudson Valley feel. The gardens, the view of the Hudson River and the Palisades and the GWB Bridge are just magical. The restaurant itself is also extremely charming. However, there are some things you should be aware of if you're planning to have your wedding here. There isn't a place to get ready so you will have to dress and do hair and make-up elsewhere before arriving. I didn't think this would be an issue but as it turns out I can now see how getting ready at the venue can reduce stress on the day of your wedding. The bathrooms are also open to the public so as you can imagine aren't exactly pristine. On the day of the wedding the staff was great. They set everything up just how I had asked and were also fantastic about displaying the 1300+ cookies my mother in law made for the reception. The staff really was great. The food. My husband and I decided to put a down payment before actually dining at the restaurant. Had I dined there first I would never have had my wedding there. The first time we had dinner at New Leaf (after putting down our first payment) it was a disaster. The service was horrible and food as well. I thought to myself, "all those yelp reviews are right!". I actually started crying in the restaurant at our table when I realized how disorganized they were and how mediocre the food was. I even let the manager know our situation and he basically did nothing but smile and apologize. When I let the events manager Cathy know about our experience she was quick to apologize, profusely, and even gave us refund. She made me feel much better and assured me that wedddings are completely different. If you are planning to have your wedding there definitely eat there first and do NOT let them know you are considering having your wedding there. Anyway, months later we went for our tasting and OMG the food was INCREDIBLE. I was 100% reassured in our decision to have our reception at New Leaf. Fast forward to the wedding the day. The food served was NOTHING like what we tasted. The salad was bland as could be. The raviolis were the biggest disappointment. At the tasting we were served amazing homemade raviolis. At the reception we were served, frozen, round raviolis with literally a drop of sauce. I was so embarrassed as I had told so many of my foodie guests about the raviolis. My father approached Cathy that night about them and after first insisting they were homemade she finally apologized after checking with the chef. I assume the entrees were OK. I'm a vegetarian so didn't try any (my vegetarian entree was terrible, some arugula, red quinoa and a few chopped raw veggies, no dressing, bland as can be). Last, I noticed on the day of our wedding how terribly nasty Cathy was to her staff, in addition to walking around all night with a scowl on her face and never once checking in with me. Last, the parking situation is not good. I had about half of my 115 guests arrive on a bus as there is virtually no parking at New Leaf and they do not offer valet. All in all, I don't think it is worth the money.

Reviewed on 11/06/2016 Amara C

A beautiful, magical, hidden spot - that is perfect for a big party! Very helpful with the wedding planning process and flexible with our many requests. Our guests raved about the food as well.

Reviewed on 6/08/2016 Bianca G

We recently had our wedding at New Leaf and I could not have been happier with the experience. Cathy Mosomillo, the event coordinator, was great to work with – we didn’t have the negative experiences that some reviewers have described below. We treated her with kindness and... Read More respect and received the same treatment in return. In fact, I felt that Cathy bent over backwards to make us happy. Her email style may be a little short, but I think that’s because she’s a busy lady. The staff at New Leaf is so considerate, the food unique and marvelous – guests loved that they could order off the menu at the reception almost as if they were at an actual restaurant (because they were). And, of course, how can you beat the setting of Fort Tryon Park? You honestly can’t, especially in the spring months. There are flowers, greenery – it is such a happy place. We did eventually hire an event coordinator who did a lot of the interfacing with Cathy, but that was largely because we just didn’t want to deal with details and potential vendor problems on the big day. I highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for a unique, reasonably-priced New York wedding. You can’t go wrong here.

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 olivia k

I had my wedding here in October 2015. This is a beautiful place with very good food but beware the wedding coordinator Cathy Mosomillo! As others have very accurately said in some of these reviews --the only time she will ever contact you is when money is due. Otherwise you... Read More will never hear from her no matter how many times you email or call. At some point I sent her a text begging her to get back to me. Weddings require a lot of planning and she makes sure to do zero. I ended up hiring a "day of" planner because I knew it was necessary since I could see Cathy would do nothing but there were issues with that as well since my planner did not know the venue (since she doesn't work there!) and she put me in the downstairs bathroom to change into my dress which appears to be a public bathroom for people off of the street. They kept trying to come in while I was dressing. Even though we rented out the whole restaurant it appeared that the downstairs bathroom was still open to the public. Also, I contracted for a 4 course meal which was to include dessert but dessert was not on the menu and was not served. Only the wedding cake (which I purchased elsewhere) was served. And although coffee was on the menu to go with the wedding cake that was not served at all. On my wedding day I saw Cathy once for about one second. Otherwise she was not available at all. Overall this is a beautiful and well located venue but I would never recommend this place. A wedding venue really must have a wedding coordinator who knows the place and this place does not.

June 27th 2015 wedding

Reviewed on 7/14/2015 Synthia L

I cannot speak highly enough about The New Leaf Cafe, and the entire staff. When I first saw the venue, I knew it was it. It is absolutely beautiful, it doesn't even seem like you are in NYC. Twice during our engagement, my husband (then fiance) and I would go up to the cafe to... Read More have lunch. Despite the long wait for a table on a Sunday evening, they sat us immediately, and comped out entire meal. The day of my wedding it poured. They went above and beyond to make the venue and guests feel comfortable. I had my heart set on the ceremony being outside, but the weather didn't permit. I am actually glad it was indoors. The tent was absolutely beautiful. It was intimate and romantic. It was absolutely perfect. I cannot speak highly enough of the event coordinator Cathy. She did SO much for us, things that were beyond her job title. She made sure that everything was perfect, and was there through out the planning process to answer any questions. She is HONEST and will absolutely tell you if she doesn't think a decision is the best. She was accommodating, comforting, and lovely. I am so incredibly glad I picked this venue. It was everything I could have dreamed of and MORE.

An Extraordinary Venue and Location

Reviewed on 5/05/2015 Lisa W

Our wedding at the New Leaf was truly perfect in every way. The venue has just been renovated and is absolutely stunning. The new tent is so clear, we were even able to see the moon as we danced all night!! The venue is located in a park on top of a high hill in northern... Read More Manhattan. You would never know you're in New York City, which was exactly the vibe we wanted. Cathy, the events manager, was absolutely WONDERFUL to work with. She took incredible care to make sure that we had everything that we asked for AND MORE. She was always available by phone, text, and email - not just for us, but for all of our vendors, too. She and her team made sure that we had nothing to worry about on our wedding day - she took care of every single detail and made sure everything was perfect. The new Chef, Corey Cova, did an outstanding job preparing a delicious 4-course meal for our guests. Everyone raved about the food, and we couldn't agree more - from the cocktail hour through the last bite of dinner, the food at the New Leaf has never been better. The weather was perfect for us to have an outdoor ceremony. Cathy's team worked with our chair rental company to make sure that the ceremony was set up perfectly in a public park - no easy task - and the ceremony went flawlessly. And the park was in full bloom - perfect for photos overlooking the Hudson River before and after the ceremony for our wedding party and guests. So many of our friends and family told us that ours was the best wedding they had ever attended. And of course we agree!! The New Leaf made our wedding day extraordinary. We would do it all over again - the exact same way - in a heartbeat.

Gorgeous location, extremely disorganized

Reviewed on 2/22/2015

To echo another recent review in this thread, our wedding was beautiful in spite of the atrocious experience we had working with the new Events Manager, Cathy Mosomillo. When we signed on a year prior our wedding, the then Director of Special Events, Tiffany Hogan, was... Read More strongly instrumental in our doing so - warm, friendly, professional. The staff was likewise hospitable. For some inexplicable reason, there was a change of staff in April, of which New Leaf never alerted us to, and the incoming Events Manager (Ms. Mosomillo) did not bother to introduce herself, other than to let us know that the fall tasting evening, guaranteed by her predecessor, would no longer be offered to us. Emails to her went unanswered for up to 5 weeks at a time (average response time: 3 weeks), were curt and unhelpful (often had to ask the same question multiple times to get a response), and it was impossible to get her on the phone, ever. She would only reach out to us of her own volition when reminding us of upcoming payment deadlines. She actively tried to disallow certain (more affordable) options offered to us when we signed on with the venue, and it took the intervention of the GM to have these requests honored. The day of the wedding was a bridal nightmare, insofar as she was involved with it. Provided with place cards, escort cards, and table wheels corresponding to the floor plan, the seating could not have been made out more simply for her (as a full-time Events Manager myself, this is nothing unique or complicated). Yet, upon our guests arrival, the dining room still had not been set up, and she did not have any sense of "grace under fire" enough to hide this from our friends and family. Reports came back to me of how palpably confused and exasperated she was, and I nearly had to go up to the dining room in full bridal attire to set up the space myself (thankfully, my bridesmaids did so on my behalf, when we should have been taking pictures). This was hugely embarrassing, and the level of service surprising, considering the venue's rate is not competitive. New Leaf's location is just gorgeous, the work of the NY Restoration project is exquisite, and the commitment and talent of the chef and staff is apparent. It is such a shame that one person can so undermine the value of what would be an otherwise (and formerly was) an excellent venue. Cannot in good conscience recommend this venue so long as someone with so little regard for one's special day remains in this role.

A+ Execution, Stressful Planning Process

Reviewed on 10/23/2014 Nicole F

The venue is gorgeous, warm, charming and magical; the food is delectable, exquisite, inventive and flavorful; you feel like an accomplished, adventurous explorer when you discover the location. Even more so if you walk up the path in front of the restaurant to the promenade... Read More overlooking the Hudson River, Palisades and GWB. The night of our wedding went off without a hitch. The staff is polite and professional, the hors d'oeuvres are creative and just fabulous, the main courses are mouth-watering. Their pastry chef - amazing. Think pumpkin panna cotta with smoked chocolate and candied pumpkin seeds. Ridiculous, right? I can't tell you how many guests raved about the food as well as the beauty and uniqueness of the New Leaf itself. BONUS: having a caterer and venue all wrapped into one! can't imagine having to go through the process of looking for a caterer as well. HOWEVER: When we first inquired about the venue after hearing an amazing firsthand review, the Event Director at the time invited us to see the space one Saturday afternoon when the restaurant was setting up for a wedding. We fell in love with the space AND the Director - she was knowledgeable & informative, responsive, calm, attentive, kind. LIKABLE. Countless reviews (from 2013 and prior) FIRST rave about her and then RAVE about the exquisite food AND service (they rock). A few months after booking the venue, an email was returned undeliverable. She was fired, without a replacement. Bad business. Or nepotism. Someone did NOT do their homework. The eventual replacement spent a little too much time complaining about staff and decisions - it was unsettling. Emails and phone calls went unanswered for DAYS, even weeks. We even asked for her to "Reply All" and maintain the same email chain so that everything was on one email string. Ignored. Another engaged couple we met was having the same stressful situation. They even hired the former Director to avoid any unforseen issues because it absolutely felt like the day of was going to present some problems. Luckily, everything went smoothly. We didn't raise concerns just so nothing went wrong on our big day out of spite. Ultimately, if you can handle the stress of having an unorganized, unresponsive wedding coordinator, this venue is worth it - all of it, the food, the selection of spirits, the beauty, and the charm. Service: 3 stars - staff and service on the day of is flawless, but the Director... Quality: venue food and drinks are second to none. Value: i would have given this 5 stars but again, the planning process was so lacking.

Magical setting, wonderful night

Reviewed on 5/24/2014 Laura S

My husband and I had a truly special wedding at New Leaf Restaurant in Fort Tryon Park in early May. The weather held for us and we were lucky enough to have the ceremony outside in nearby Linden Terrace, followed by cocktails, dinner and dancing under the clear tent at New... Read More Leaf. The setting was gorgeous and easily accessible, which were our two main criteria when finding a site, but the food turned out to be phenomenal! Portions were generous, service was attentive, plating was gorgeous, and we're still getting complements. My friend put it best, that New Leaf is "Stone Barns, for people in the know". I totally agree, and my husband and I could not have been happier with how the evening played out.

Excellent wedding venue

Reviewed on 6/13/2013 Maggie W

This was a beautiful venue for our wedding reception and ceremony (Linden Terrace in Fort Tryon Park). ALL of the guests were complimenting the food and the amount of appetizers (they just kept coming) and the dinner/service. The food was served in a really timely manner, even... Read More considering that they don't take the entree orders until that night and Tiffany kept everything running smoothly and troubleshooted everything. We did a clear tent on the patio and so many guests complimented the venue space. Everyone commented that they had never been there before and can't believe that it's in Manhattan --- they all loved the space.

A hidden gem in Manhattan

Reviewed on 5/24/2013 Kathy K

My overall experience with New Leaf was excellent. Their venue coordinator Tiffany was extremely helpful throughout the whole process: she was always calm, responsive, patient, and nice. Booking Process: make an appointment with Tiffany and she'll show you all the possible... Read More ceremony sites within the park, the cocktail hour, reception areas and answer all your questions patiently. Book early! Food Tasting: unbelievably good. All yummy and they give you a doggie bag in case you can't finish (most likely you won't, b/c they give you so much. Planning Process: Tiffany is very responsive and the venue is very relaxed and laid back (they let us borrow some of their furnitures, our dogs..) Wedding Day: All the staffs were willing to help with the set up. It's still a restaurant so each table had a wait staff table service (guests were able to order drinks with their waiter without having to go to the bar).

Extraordinarily Beautiful Venue and Amazing Staff!

Reviewed on 4/01/2013 Clare L

This is a review for New Leaf, but especially for Tiffany Hogan, the event coordinator at the New Leaf. I would love to see Tiffany organize everything in my life. Nothing is a problem. She is calm, professional, charming and one of the nicest people I have ever met. She has... Read More been at New Leaf for over 5 years and it shows as the whole operation runs like clockwork. It was the first venue that we visited and we basically wanted to write her a cheque five minutes after meeting her. I would wake up in the night with a million questions, shoot her an email, and a few hours later have a calm email back with everything answered. We had a smaller wedding with 56 people and the venue was perfect size. We did our ceremony on Linden Terrace and then the reception in New Leaf. Every guest, and I mean, EVERY guest, commented on the food and this was a pretty good foodie crowd. We literally had people running up to us when we walked in saying that it was the best food they have had in ages, not just the best wedding food, the best food, period! Since it is a restaurant, everything is made to order and deliciously fresh. Aside from the food, the service is impeccable. The same staff work at the restaurant, so there is no problem training or coordinating the staff. They were charming, unobtrusive and really elegant in their work. Lovely little touches like having waiters wait outside for all the guests with cocktails and wine (including the groom and myself, who came in much later) or my FIL asking about the wine and the waitress offering to steam the label off for him were done with no fuss, just perfect style. Not a drink glass was empty for a minute, or a napkin accidentally dropped to the floor before being replaced by this stellar team. I honestly have woken up every day since my wedding and been so grateful that I met Tiffany and her team at New Leaf and feel so blessed that we were able to have our wedding there and have nothing but good memories of that day.

BEST.WEDDING.EVER.

Reviewed on 11/05/2011 Megan K

My now husband and I had the unfortunate stroke of luck of planning our wedding the Saturday night Hurricane Irene struck New York. The mayor called off all events in NYC parks, which obviously meant that New Leaf could not stay opened. TIffany (events Co-ordinator) and John... Read More (restaurant manager) were SO accommodating and allowed us to have the wedding 6 weeks later on a Sunday evening which they had purposely not booked since it was the Sunday before Columbus Day. New Leaf Cafe is like a well-oiled machine when it comes to weddings. They are so professional and put on an amazing event. Tiffany is fantastic and basically acts as a day of wedding planner working with all of your vendors to set up the day you had been envisioning up until that day. All of my guests raved about how delicious the food was and how beautiful the restaurant was. I am so happy that I found New Leaf because they really did give me the wedding of my dreams (even if it wasn't on the date I had originally anticipated!)

Elegant and Wonderful Food

Reviewed on 7/29/2011 Raquel I

The room was beautiful with candlelight and the service top notch and friendly. I got raves from my guests about the food for both quantity and quality. We just used the dining room on a Sunday evening which got us a better rate but the patio doors were open and guests flowed in... Read More and out. The only complaint was that end of the room that was near the closed doors leading to the bar was on the warm side. Better to book in the Spring or early Fall to be on the safe side because they don't have AC. Overall everyone loved the space for it's charm, especially in the park.

Great Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 11/17/2010 AWILDA N

New Leaf is a small restaurant in Fort Tryon Park in upper Manhattan where I had my October wedding. All of my guests enjoyed the food, drinks and service was great! Tiffany the event coordinator was very helpful and made sure that everything was perfect.

Absolutely Perfect!

Reviewed on 9/12/2010 Katherine D

I could not have asked for a better wedding venue. The food is unique and outstanding, the price is unbelievable for Manhattan, and the setting is gorgeous. The on-site event coordinator Tiffany handles everything so you really don't even need a wedding planner. This is New... Read More York's best-kept secret.

Loved it!

Reviewed on 9/01/2010 Viktoria F

I fell in love with restaurant the first time me and my fiancee came to check it out. Everything was beautiful - the park, the restaurant, the food, and the service. Tiffany - the wedding coordinator - was super nice and helpful with just about anything we needed. I am... Read More incredibly happy we chose to have our wedding there.

Review for New Leaf Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 bahareh b

Gorgeous park venue. Ceremony overlooking the Hudson reception in a tent in the garden of the restaurant. Wonderful staff delicious food. Perfect.