Engagement Wishes: What to Write in an Engagement Card
Finding a funny or sentimental card for your newly engaged friend or family member is easy. Figuring out what to write in an engagement card can be much more challenging. Stress not! We've got you covered, from engagement etiquette to the perfect wording for offering engagement wishes to the happy couple.
Engagement Card Etiquette
Engagement cards are customary for anyone wanting to send their well wishes and congratulations to a newly engaged couple. This is your chance to express your happiness, excitement and support for the soon-to-be-weds. Whether your best friend or big brother just announced their engagement, sending a card is a thoughtful gesture.
So when is the best time to send your engagement congratulations to the couple? There really isn't a strict time frame for sending engagement wishes, but it should definitely be sometime after the engagement announcement and before the wedding. After all, it wouldn't make sense to send your well wishes after you have already celebrated their wedding. We recommend the sooner the better, as the couple will still be reeling in from the excitement of their happy news when they receive your engagement congratulations in the mail. Another option is to wait to deliver the engagement card in person if the couple invites you to their engagement party.
Do you need to send a gift along with your engagement wishes? It might depend on your individual circumstances, but don't feel obligated, as an engagement card can be given with or without a gift. If you are invited to an engagement party in honor of the couple, let the invitation provide some guidance on which is appropriate. A congratulatory engagement card is perfect for a casual gathering of friends at your local bar (especially if you're chipping in for drinks). If you receive a formal engagement invite in the mail from the couple or a host, you probably shouldn't show up empty-handed. Find out if the couple have registered, or choose something for their home that they can both enjoy, like a picture frame or a bottle of champagne (psst, our engagement gift guide has tons of helpful suggestions for every kind of couple).
Whether you're attending a formal party or an intimate get-together, a thoughtful handwritten engagement card is a lovely gesture. Tailor your well wishes to the couple and your relationship with them. Is the card for a family member or a close friend? Opt for sentimental engagement wishes that share your excitement. If the couple are religious, consider including a Bible verse or a quote from the Torah. Engagement cards come in lots of formats, including standard greeting cards from your local stationery shop, homemade cards, small tags attached to gifts and even simple, digitally created engagement messages. There are many ways to personalize an engagement wish. Stuck on what to write in an engagement card? Read on for some ideas about how to write meaningful engagement wishes.
- Engagement Wishes - Funny
- Engagement Wishes - Friend
- Engagement Wishes - Brother or Sister
- Engagement Wishes - Son or Daughter
- Engagement Wishes - From Bridesmaid or Groomsman
- Engagement Wishes - Religious
If sentimentality is not really your thing, a funny engagement wish is perfectly acceptable, as long as the joke is not too corny or inappropriate. Jokes that are sarcastic or snarky may be funny when told out loud, but can come across negatively on paper. Take our advice and steer clear of anything that could be considered insulting, like implying that one of them is the "better half" or mentioning anything about it having taken too long (or too little time) to make things official. And any jokes about divorce aren't jokes at all.
Dear Jane and John,
I'm so happy for you two on your engagement! I can't believe we're old enough to be getting engaged. What's next, getting pregnant on purpose? Congrats!
- Wishing you a lifetime of great sex...oh, and happiness and love—that stuff is important too. (Use only if this is appropriate given your relationship with the couple.)
- Congratulations for finally getting the right to officially love and annoy your partner for the rest of your life.
- Engaged is a synonym for busy. Now you can officially ward off your friends and family from disturbing you because you are 'engaged.' Congratulations!
- I'm so happy for your and your new ring. I mean, fiancé!
- I'm so glad two weirdos like you found each other.
- Congrats on your engagement! I'm so excited for the open bar. I mean, the wedding!
- Congrats on your engagement! I can't wait to sob at your wedding!
- So I guess you two are pretty serious then. Congrats!
- Congrats on avoiding becoming a crazy cat lady!
- Congrats on your engagement! I can't wait to Instagram the wedding!
- I'm 90 percent happy for you and 10 percent jealous. Congrats!
- Congrats to a couple whose wedding I actually want to attend!
Sending an engagement card to a friend should feel genuine and come from the heart. You can go with classic engagement congratulations or say something more personal in the card if you are writing to one of your closest pals. Use your relationship to guide how personal or cheeky you want to get with your engagement wishes.
Dear Jane and John,
Congratulations on your engagement! I am so happy to call both of you my friends, and I can't wait to celebrate with you.
- May you bring each other as much happiness as your friendship has brought to my life—and more!
- Congratulations to a wonderful friend on his/her new fiance.
- So happy for the both of you. and I can''t wait to celebrate this new chapter of your lives with you."
- Of all the big life events we've celebrated together, this one tops the list. Congratulations!
- Best wishes for a long and happy life together.
- Best wishes for a fun-filled future together.
- Here's to love and friendship!
- I know your marriage will be as strong and last as long as our friendship. Congrats!
- I'm so happy for the both of you and very excited I have a permanent couple with whom I can be a third-wheel!
Are you a close-knit family? Make sure your personality comes through in your engagement card message. After all, your siblings know you best. Feel free to make inside jokes or recall some of your favorite moments together. If you're not best buds, typical engagement sayings will still be appreciated. And don't forget to mention the fiance in your note.
Dear Jane and John,
I am so happy for the two of you. Congratulations on your engagement! It seems like yesterday we were playing "house," and now you get to do it in real life.
All my love,
- Best wishes to my best friend and sister/brother and my new brother/sister.
- I've always wanted a/another brother/sister and now I get one! Congratulations!
- You bring my brother/sister so much joy. All my love!
- Lots of love to the best sister/brother in the world and her/his new fiance. May you have a marriage full of love and happiness!
- Remember when we used to talk about finding the perfect guy/girl? Well now you have! Lots of love, now and always.
- So excited for a/another brother/sister to join the family! I hope (sibling) warned you about the family initiation. Congrats!
- It makes me so happy to see how happy (fiance) makes you. All my love!
- I have looked up to you my whole life and I am so excited for you and (fiance) and your future. Congratulations! (if older sibling)
- I've loved watching you grow up and I'm so excited for you to start this new chapter of your life with (fiance). Congratulations! (if younger sibling)
- I'm so happy for you and (fiance)! Get ready for the best maid of honor/best man speech ever—the embarrassing stories I have on you are endless. Congrats!
Getting the news that your son or daughter is engaged is a big deal and definitely something to celebrate. It might be hard to share your emotions on the engagement card, but the most important thing is to congratulate the couple and convey joy in your engagement wishes. Add in personal touches to give the wedding card even more meaning. If you're happily married, you could even add some of your own marriage advice.
Dear Jane and John,
Congratulations on your engagement, we/I are so incredibly happy for you. We/I are so excited to start this journey with you and we/I can't wait for the wedding!
Mom/Dad/Mom and Dad
- We/I are so happy to welcome a new son/daughter into our family.
- Love and happiness to you two on this special day.
- Best wishes to my/our son/daughter and daughter-in-law/son-in-law on your engagement.
- Son/daughter, we/I feel many emotions on this occasion. Most of all, we're/I'm happy you've found someone wonderful to share your life with. Best wishes to you both.
- Lots of love and happiness to you both on this exciting and joyful occasion for our family.
- Planning a wedding is just practice for planning your future together. Enjoy every minute. It goes by quickly.
- May the love you share during this exciting time grow stronger as you grow old together.
- We/I knew one day you'd find the perfect match, and it is clear that day is now. Can't wait to help you get ready to be a groom/bride.
- You have grown up to be a beautiful/handsome woman/man, and we/I can't wait to watch you start this wonderful new chapter of your life. Congratulations!
If you are serving as a bridesmaid or groomsman at the couple's wedding, you're likely related or a close friend of the to-be-wed. Alongside the typical engagement wish quotes, include a bit of your history. Use an inside joke or an anecdote from when you formed your friendship, or thank the couple for including you in their wedding party.
Dear Jane and John,
I am so happy for the both of you on your engagement! I can't wait to watch you start your lives together—with a front-row seat, no less! Thank you for including me in your wedding day. I can't wait to celebrate.
- I am so excited for you two and even more excited to be a part of your wedding journey! Congrats!
- Congratulations on your engagement—I can't wait to celebrate with you! Much love!
- Time really does fly. It feels like just yesterday we were moving into our dorm rooms, and now you're getting married. Congrats! (or relevant anecdote)
- Thank you for letting me share in this joyful occasion. I wish both of you all the best as you embark on this wonderful union.
- Congratulations on your engagement! If you need any help planning the wedding, I'm here for you!
- I'm so thrilled that I will be able to celebrate your wedding with you both!
- You two are a perfect couple, and I am so excited to watch you make it official. Congratulations!
- Wishing you joy, love and happiness on your wedding day and as you begin your new life together.
- It seems like just yesterday we were graduating from high school/college and starting our own lives. Now I get to watch you start your life with (fiance), and I am so excited for you! Congrats!
Religious engagement card messages can mention God, tell them of your prayers or quote scripture. Before writing a religious message in an engagement card, make sure you are aware of the couple's beliefs and practices, and customize the message to them. If they aren't too religious or don't worship regularly, something very religious could make them uncomfortable, so tone down the religious elements in the engagement card and focus on your relationship instead. And if you're unsure of what religious message to write, opt for more general wedding words.
Dear Jane and John,
Congratulations on your engagement! Sending you prayers for unending love and happiness and hoping that the love of God fills your hearts as you start your married life together.
- May God grant you all of life's blessings and love's joys.
- "Love is patient. Love is kind….Love never fails." –1 Corinthians 13:4-13
- "God bless you both on this day with a lifetime of shared love and joy."
- "God has poured out His love into our hearts." –Romans 5:5
- Mazel tov! May the joy that is yours today always fill your life.
- "Ani l'dodi, v'dodi li." (I am my beloved's, and my beloved is mine.) –Shir HaShirim/Song of Songs 6:3
- Mazel tov and l'chaim! Best wishes on your engagement.
- Mabrouk! ("Congratulations.")
- Baarak-Allahu laka wa baaraka alaikuma wa jama'a bainakuma fee khairin. ("Let Allah bless you both with love and happiness and many cherished moments of a blissful married life.")
At the end of the day, there are no strict rules or expectations around sending an engagement card to the happy couple. Whether you decide to write a funny engagement congratulations or a sincere one from the heart, your message is sure to make the couple feel celebrated and supported as they embark on this next exciting stage in their lives together.