5120 Restaurant & Onyx Bar

Bloomington, MN

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The 5120 Restaurant & Onyx Bar invites brides and grooms to experience the delights of delectable cuisine with upscale surroundings for an upcoming wedding day. The surroundings will take your breath away while you celebrate your nuptials. With indoor event spaces suitable for ceremonies and receptions, your wedding event will be unforgettable.

The Onyx Bar. Filled with travertine fireplaces providing warm ambience, the Onyx Bar is a delightful event space for your wedding reception. This space encompasses the entire restaurant and bar area and it will accommodate up to 120 guests.

The Atrium. With walls of windows, a glass ceiling and a 14-foot water fountain, this space feels utterly massive. A grand chandelier serves as a worthy focal point in the room. At night, the stars above coupled with the surrounding skyline provide a breathtaking view. Couples use the atrium for both ceremonies and receptions. The space will accommodate 80 guests for a ceremony.

Expert attention to detail and a vast knowledge of weddings equips the event staff at the 5120 Restaurant & Onyx Bar to assist you with your wedding plans.

All event furniture and equipment as well as set-up and breakdown will be performed by the event team. The catering team offers a full scope of reception menu options for your event.

Appetizer options include three different packages. Group A includes options such as an artisan cheese assortment, a fruit tray and seasoned steak potato wedges with cheese. Group B options include items such as tomato and fresh mozzarella flatbread, spinach and artichoke dip and roasted beet canapé. Group C options include smoked salmon canapé, roasted chicken lollipops and bacon-wrapped scallops.

You also have a buffet and plated dinner option for your reception. Buffets include hot entrees, pasta sides, hot sides, salads and cold sides. The entree choices include items such as roast beef with au jus, grilled BBQ chicken and sirloin steak. Plated dinners include a salad course, an entree course and wine served with dinner. Some of your entree choices include pan seared Atlantic salmon, grilled strip loin and grilled chicken with tomato pasta.

Celebrating your wedding at 5120 Restaurant & Onyx Bar promises to be a resounding success. With the attentive staff and the luxurious surroundings, you will be creating unforgettable memories.

• Host your rehearsal dinner in the venue as well
  • Arrange overnight accommodations for you and your guests in the connected Country Inn & Suites

Elegant All-Glass English Conservatory

Impress, Celebrate, Enjoy! Our stunning, all-glass English Conservatory is the perfect venue for your ceremony and/or reception of up to 120 guests in the heart of Bloomington! We have outstanding cuisine, an event planner and chef to help with all details, and award-winning accommodations for your out-of-town guests.

Ballroom, Hotel, Restaurant

5120 American Blvd. West, Bloomington, MN (952) 698-4864

Accommodating and Tasty

Reviewed on 9/25/2013 Brittany K

My husband and I were certain of two things: We wanted an indoor reception and a location that was not just a large, boring banquet hall. We also didn't want to have to deal with rentals, outside catering, or extra details. What we got is the 5120 Restaurant & Onyx Bar. The... Read More guest max is 120 people (for all rooms), We had about 90 in the space. The restaurant is located in Country Inn & Suites. The outside of the building looks like an unassuming hotel, but that just made the initial impression of the space stronger on our guests. Guests told me the reception space was beautiful, like all good wedding guests are supposed to say to the bride at her wedding. (But I think they meant it.) Pre-Wedding Planning: The website is awesome because it has pretty much all the important details on it, like the event menus, photos, and other details. We visited the venue and met with Jennifer, the coordinator, about 9 months prior to our wedding date. The deposit was low compared to other reception venues we had looked at. There was no outrageous rental fee, and you would have to have around 70 guests not to make the minimum on just food alone. Once we made our deposit, I was in contact with Jennifer via emails about any questions I had, with quick replies and clear answers. She was very helpful and they are very accommodating of decorations and use of the space. Description of venue: What I liked the most about the reception space was that the bar was separated from the main space, and there was a smaller "bistro" area as well. This allowed our guests who didn't want to dance a quiet space to gather and hang out. The bar and bistro area have wood paneling and a warm, inviting feeling with beautiful ceiling lights. The large, main room has ceiling windows and marble design on the walls, with cozy stone fireplaces, and a beautiful wall fountain. Food: We had our guests choose between two entrees, the pan-seared salmon and chicken mozzarella. Also a strawberry spinach salad with feta cheese. (My absolute favorite) For appetizer, we did fruit and cheese. Everyone we have talked to who ordered the salmon thought it was amazing. We had about 50% of guests choose the fish. The quality and the presentation of the food was good. We did not have guests waiting too long to be served. Cost: The entrees seem expensive (their typical event price is 40 dollars per person, as read on their web site) but that is with an appetizer, complimentary non-alcoholic drinks for guests, and 3 entrees for guests to choose from. The extra fees made sense and weren't outrageous: a flat fee for cake cutting (optional), sound system (optional), set up/clean up fee. Also, they allowed us to bring in outside snacks for later. My initial impression of the space was that it was not a place one had to decorate over-much, but we did bring in some things to make the space more personalized for us. I would recommend this venue to others based on the accommodating staff, reasonable price, and beautiful rooms. We did not run into any problems during our reception and I always felt in contact with the venue during the wedding planning. The restaurant and bar does close at midnight, so it might not be ideal for those who want to dance all night long. After midnight, our guests moved into the 24 hour hotel breakfast area and played board and card games until after 2 am. Since its attached to a hotel some of our guests chose to stay there instead of drive home.

AMAZING!!

Reviewed on 11/05/2012 rebecca f

My wedding was absolutly amazing!! The venue speaks for itself the moment you walk in the door. Its beautiful. The staff was amazing and Jennifer was awesome to work with. She made sure everything was top notch and going smoothly. I didn't have to worry about a thing. All of my... Read More guests were amazed that a place like this even existed here in MN! Not a thing went wrong on my wedding day. I would reccommend 5120 to anyone who is getting married!! Thank you 5120 and Jennifer for making my wedding a truly memorable occassion :)

Picture Perfect

Reviewed on 6/27/2012 Megan S

Our day couldn't have gone better! The staff was so confident that I was able to relax and enjoy my day! Jennifer Obbarius was our wedding coordinator and she was wonderful! The food was amazing and my husband I were given many compliments regarding it! I would absolutely... Read More recommend this location for a wedding and/or wedding reception!! All of my pictures turned out beautiful! Thank you 5120 staff!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Jocelyn S

After seeing pictures of someone's wedding at this venue, I booked a tour thinking that it would be way out of my budget. I was wrong, it was very affordable and gorgeous! Admittedly, I didn't think it would live up to the pictures when I walked into the lobby (it's attached to... Read More a Country Inn and Suites hotel) but I was wrong again. The bar itself has the feel of a high end Scotch bar/Pub with gorgeous woodwork and an amazing ceiling. Andy, the bartender, was so incredible and reassuring throughout the whole process and especially the reception. Jennifer, the event coordinator, is fantastic. I know I am gushing, but I seriously had the best wedding at this venue and the staff were a huge part of it. Jennifer is organized, knowledgeable, creative, and personable. Almost every guest told myself or my husband that they loved the venue and that it was beautiful. The food, oh man, the food...sorry, just remembering how good it was, the food was hot (plated per table), delicious, perfectly cooked, and people raved about it all night. Because of Jennifer and the staff our wedding was amazing, perfect, tasty and memorable. I highly recommend this venue.

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Mirinda W

This was the perfect location for our small wedding of 43! We held the ceremony and the reception here and couldn't have been more thrilled. Jennifer, our coordinator, was amazing, so helpful and guided us when we were't sure on something, without any pressure to go outside our... Read More comfort or budget. The food was delicious and beautifully presented and everyone enjoyed it. The bartender, Brian, was awesome and was great all evening long. Everyone thought the space was so beautiful and perfect, with the gorgeous glass atrium and the connected warm, wood and amber glass bar area Cannot recommend this space enough to any couple looking for an elegant space for a small wedding.

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Jennifer L

We had our wedding at 5120 this past weekend, 9/24. I cannot even begin to express what a wonderful job Jen and the whole crew do. They go above and beyond to be sure your day is amazing and as stress free as possible. All of my guests commented on how beautiful the space was... Read More and how delicious the food was. I could not have asked for a better day!

Reviewed on 5/31/2016 Katie S

My husband and I got married at 5120 Restaurant and Onyx Bar on November 14, 2015. I never thought I would get married in a hotel, but withe the beauty and elegance of the event space, you would never know it was attached to a hotel! We still got to take advantage of the... Read More convenience of the hotel though, so it was an absolute win-win. We could not have been happier with our choice! We had 40 people at our wedding and had plenty of room. Jennifer was absolutely incredible - she nailed down every detail and remained so flexible throughout the entire planning process. We had a few unique requests and she happily accommodated them all. Our guests were RAVING about the food, even weeks after the wedding! From start to finish, we were thrilled with our choice, and the day was exactly what we wanted. Our guests continued to comment that they loved the intimate feel and the uniqueness of the venue.

Absolutely amazing quality and service

Reviewed on 9/14/2015 Kellie K

My husband and I knew we wanted to have a small and intimate wedding and the 5120 Restaurant was stunning as well as suitable for our needs. Our wedding guests totaled 100 people and we all fit in the space quite comfortably. The restaurant decor is very classic neutral and... Read More a variety of styles would coordinate while the Onyx Bar is filled with comfortable warm lighting and rich color. The event coordinator, Jennifer, is a very reliable and personable resource. She offered to do so many of the things we were planning on doing ourselves. Later in the evening one of our inebriated guests became slightly demanding/condescending towards Jennifer who handled it with grace and professionalism. All members of the staff were very gracious and helpful - quick to respond to queries and timely when presented with tasks. We were greatly impressed with the buffet options during our tasting - each choice was flavorful and it was hard to make a final decision between the options. All of our guests remarked on how delicious and well-prepared the food was.

Beautiful space and great coordination

Reviewed on 7/04/2015 Gretchen R

First of all, props go to Jennifer Obbarius, the coordinator at 5120. She is the star of this whole set-up. Without her, I am sure this would have been very hard to pull off. We were planning from afar, so I can't even count the number of emails we sent back and forth with... Read More Jennifer regarding all the details. She was extremely patient with us, responding in full to all questions and requests, even when we entered double-digit lists of questions! Second, the space - it is fantastic! It is honestly really weird to me that this beautiful space is hidden inside a Country Inn & Suites. It perfectly fit our needs, as we had our ceremony at the Como Conservatory, and wanted to bring the ambiance of the conservatory into our reception. We couldn't have designed a better space. Third (though it deserves to be first, because it was so awesome) is the food. The steak was cooked like a steak should be! And honestly, who can say they have the choice at their reception of steak, salmon, or Portobello ravioli??? There were chicken options, of course, but why choose them when it's the same price for the better options. Everyone raved about the food to us. The wine options were good as well - definitely go with at least Tier 2 wine - we did a taste testing with our friends before deciding, and the little extra you will spend is definitely worth it for the quality. Also, we were able to get local microbrews in bottles for our beer option, which was really nice, so know that Jennifer and the crew are very flexible if you know what you want. Finally, it was fantastic to have everything set up and torn down for a nominal fee, and to have the room for the entire day set aside for us, so we could put everything together before we had to get ready, and not worry about whether it was getting assembled while we were in the ceremony. You will love the value for money this venue offers, I can't emphasize that enough. Also, if you or your guests are considering staying at the hotel, know that the front desk staff are very warm and welcoming - they were happy to accommodate our request to provide welcome bags to our out-of-town guests at check-in, as well as a few other minor accommodations, with a cheerful smile.

Beautiful Atmosphere and Amazing Food!

Reviewed on 3/11/2015 Tiffany S

I needed to find a place to get married in a hurry. I worked with Jennifer and she is amazing. We basically planned everything in about a month. The venue is BEAUTIFUL! We had both our ceremony and reception there. The transition from ceremony, to dinner, to dancing went... Read More smoothly. The food is unbelievable! I would eat here over many high-priced restaurants. Everyone has told me, they LOVED the food. And they also prepared special food items for 2 of my guest that had food allergies. I was blown away by this. It is a smaller venue and if you have 100 guests max, this would be a perfect place to get married. It's attached to the County Inn and Suites, but there are 2 other hotels literally in the same parking lot, so you have options. Jennifer worked with my vendors to make sure everything was set up. They also provide linens and centerpiece decorations (if needed). Jennifer even set up my centerpiece decorations along with the place cards for each table. It was one less thing I had to worry about. We just gave her everything and it was done.

What a find!

Reviewed on 2/09/2015 Heidi H

We cannot fit all of the praise this place deserves in this review. The 5120 Restaurant and Onyx Bar was the perfect place for a wedding! This winter, we hosted our wedding ceremony and reception at this location. In the morning, we held a very small, intimate wedding (9 people... Read More total) and then held a plated dinner for around 70 people and a dance for around 110. It was the best place for a small wedding with lots of sunlight, places for photos, and a sound system. When you rent this space, you get private access to not only the atrium room, but also a small dining room, the breakfast buffet area, and the entire bar. This provided a space for non-dancing guests to relax and hold a conversation without yelling over the music. We even had enough space to host a traveling photo booth. We are still receiving compliments from our friends and family about what a great space it was. Another reason we knew this place would be perfect for our celebration was because of the reasonable menu and management policies. Unlike other places we checked out, this place didn’t have a rental fee and had a $3,000 food and beverage minimum - which was lower than several other reception halls and caterers. We were able to set up the night before and could bring in our own homemade desserts. Instead of ordering specific amounts of red or white wine, we could just agree to purchase a certain number of bottles - no matter which type. Also, it must be noted that the food was absolutely amazing. We had a difficult time limiting our choices after tasting several menu items. We ended up hosting the New York steak with mushroom and bleu cheese sauce, the cheese ravioli in a garlic cream sauce, and the mozzarella chicken with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Because we loved all three, my wife and I each ordered something different and then split them for our own dinner that night. Finally, we have to give a HUGE thank you to Jennifer, the wonderful manager of the place. She promptly responded to all questions, was incredibly flexible, worked with our other vendors to make sure everything went smoothly, and even bartended the entire evening. She always found a solution to every issue or problem that came up. She was incredibly accommodating and even helped out with our ceremony. She and her staff deserve high praise (and maybe a raise!). We recommended this location to other friends who are getting married and are even considering hosting a future celebration there.

Great Venue at an Amazing Value

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Rachael A

We recently had our wedding reception at the 5120 Onyx Bar & Grill and I am truly surprised there aren't more recent reviews of this venue. Do people not know what an incredible place it is? Well, if not please let me tell you... Not only is it one of the most affordable small... Read More reception spaces we found, but working with their event coordinator, Jennifer, was great from start to finish. She was also very responsive and accommodating when we had needs or questions. The bartender who was there every since time we were at the venue - Shawn, also served drinks during our reception and he was incredible. Very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. We are blessed to have had the opportunity to use this reception space, and I recommend it highly to any other brides who are hosting a 100 person or less reception!

The perfect venue!

Reviewed on 7/03/2014 Jeanne H

We were very impressed with the 5120 Restaurant and Onyx bar. We can't even begin to explain how blown away we were by the exceptional service, beautiful ambiance and amazing food. All of our guests were very pleased and in awe of the beauty of the establishment. The décor... Read More was amazing by itself, but we added candles, table linens, chair covers and flowers and the place was a palace. The space was the perfect size for our small wedding reception of 50 people. Jennifer and her staff were so polite and professional and made our day a breeze with planning. We will be referring anyone we know to go here for weddings or special events. The food is amazing and tastefully created. The chef's are artists in their preparation. We cannot express how happy we are with this venue. If you are a bride looking for a perfect venue to make your wedding day extra special, this is the place! Thank you, 5120 Restaurant & staff for making our day truly a memorable experience. Sincerely, Scott and Jeanne M.

Unforgettable Wedding Day!

Reviewed on 7/16/2013 Arita B

This restaurant is a fabulous place to hold a wedding/recepction when you don't have a very large guest count. We had about 65 guests and it was the perfect size. The food was pretty good and the venue is excellent for pictures!! Ours turned out so nicely! Jennifer was also... Read More wonderful and helped me with my planning every step of the way. The cost was very competitive in comparison to a few other places that I checked out. I must say that I am surprised not a lot of people know about this little treasure. But, with people like me who will definitely recommend 5120 Restaurant, it won't be long before it becomes a very popular venue to hold that special event.

Beautiful Venue - Great Service for Small Wedding

Reviewed on 6/02/2012 Tracy M

Jen Obbarius was great to work with from start to finish. She's always cheerful, prompt and helpful. She was there at our wedding reception to make sure that everything went as planned. We got lots of compliments from our guests on how beautiful the place is, how helpful yet... Read More unobtrusive the service staff was, and how good the food was. I'm very glad that my husband and I chose this venue. No complaints!

beautiful for small intimate wedding

Reviewed on 5/03/2012 Brittney N

i loved this place for my wedding, its beautiful inside you would never think it would be in a country inn and suites.. the food is also very delicious, i recieved so many conpkiments on great choice in food and venue. one downside is the staff service wasnt very friendly, jen... Read More was great( the event coordiator) but bar staff and wait staff wasnt friendly at all.

Beautiful setting

Reviewed on 11/21/2011 Kate B

We were drawn to the restaurant to have our ceremony and reception for a number of reasons. It was in a hotel so our out of town guests would not have to travel and the conservatory where everything was to be held was beautiful! The three chandeliers, two fireplaces, heated... Read More marble floors, water fountain, and lighting made the event very beautiful! The food was amazing and received a ton of compliments. The bar area was recently renovated and does lose some privacy because people staying the hotel can walk by and see there is a wedding. We did not have any problems with unwanted hotel guests though.

Great Value!

Reviewed on 8/14/2011 R M

I am so happy I found this place. It was the perfect size for my 70 person wedding. It was beautiful. The food was good and Jen the wedding coordinator there helped me every step of the way. The staff went above and beyond for us and truly made my wedding special.

Very good venue!

Reviewed on 8/04/2011 Rebecca N

I held my reception here and it was a wonderful time. The staff are AMAZING! All they want to do is help you out and show you a good time. The food was good and the place looked amazing. I am so happy I held my reception there.