25 Classic and Elegant Dresses for Any Mother of the Groom
As the mother of the groom, you have an important role on the wedding day. Not only will you mingle with loved ones, but you'll also be by your son's side as he begins married life. You'll have plenty of eyes on you throughout the day, and the right mother-of-the-groom dress will help you look and feel your best all the while.
Mother-of-the-groom dress etiquette has changed over the years—now, instead of an outfit that feels conservative or matronly, moms are encouraged to wear a look that shows off their personal style. As you start shopping for an elegant mother-of-the-groom dress, it's important to talk to the couple and the mother of your son's fiancé to determine what kind of outfit is best. Keeping an open line of communication will prevent any style mishaps, and it'll help you find an outfit you absolutely love.
We know you're busy fulfilling your mother-of-the-groom duties. So, to make things easy, we've outlined everything you need to know about shopping for a mother-of-the-groom wedding dress below. Learn exactly what kind of outfit to look for, as well as the top retailers with mom-worthy wedding outfits to offer. And, for even more inspiration, we've rounded up the best mother-of-the-groom dresses to shop right on the spot.
In this article:
How Should the Mother of the Groom Dress?
Mother-of-the-bride outfits and mother-of-the-groom outfits for the wedding day are similar. While it's encouraged to stay away from anything that looks white (unless approved by the bride), almost anything that aligns with the wedding dress code and the rest of the wedding party's attire is appropriate. The best mother-of-the-groom dresses are those that make you feel confident and reasonably comfy. It probably won't compare to your favorite loungewear, but you want to avoid anything that's noticeably uncomfortable, like cumbersome silhouettes or itchy fabrics.
Now that you know what not to look for, here's what you should expect to find in the perfect mother-of-the-groom pantsuit, dress or jumpsuit. Ultimately, your look should fit the season and style of the wedding, as well as your own personal taste. Whether you're a trendsetting mom or you prefer to stick to traditional styles, your mother-of-the-groom outfit should embody your fashion sense.
Where to Buy Mother-of-the-Groom Dresses
There are plenty of retailers that specialize in mother-of-the-groom attire—in fact, some of your favorite stores might have curated wedding collections just for moms. Here, we share the top places to buy a mother-of-the-groom dress online.
- David's Bridal: There are great mother-of-the-groom dresses to be found at David's Bridal, especially if you want a more traditional look. The renowned wedding brand has a special collection of dresses, pantsuits and jumpsuits just for moms. Whether you're looking for bold sparkles or minimal designs, you'll appreciate the brand's extensive collection.
- Nordstrom: Nordy fans, you'll be thrilled to know the beloved store has wedding outfits for moms. Browse Nordstrom's collection of mother-of-the-groom dresses online or in-store to find a wedding-worthy look from some of your favorite brands. We're talking Alfred Sung, Mac Duggal, Kay Unger, Dress the Population and more.
- Rent the Runway: Perhaps you want a runway-worthy look, but you don't want to go over budget (or you don't want it to sit untouched in your closet after the big day). If that's the case, rent your outfit from a service like Rent the Runway. Browse classic and trendy mother-of-the-groom dresses from top designers that you can wear just as long as you need to.
- Adrianna Papell: Glam moms, this store is for you. If you're always one step ahead of the trends, you'll love the mother-of-the-groom dresses at Adrianna Papell. With a repertoire of long, midi, short and plus-size dresses, from dazzling sequined gowns to sophisticated sheaths, there are lots of showstopping options for all moms. Take 25% off your order with our exclusive code: THEKNOT25.
- Macy's: Macy's boasts fashionable MOG dresses from a handful of popular designers and brands like Adrianna Papell, Alex Evenings and Dessy. It's a great place to find a traditional and elegant mother-of-the-groom dress for a formal or semi-formal wedding. The best part? You can pick up the rest of your ensemble here too, from shoes to jewelry.
The Best Mother-of-the-Groom Dresses for 2022 and 2023
It's time to find the perfect MOG outfit—and we've got all the inspiration you need right here. Browse beautiful mother-of-the-groom dress ideas for black-tie weddings, casual celebrations and everything in between.
1. Phase Eight Lidia Guipure Lace Fishtail Dress in Watermelon
This tea-length mother-of-the-groom dress looks like it came straight out of Bridgerton. It's the perfect lace piece to wear to your upcoming soirée, thanks to the elegant semi-sheer puff sleeves and flared peplum hem. Style your outfit with drop earrings, sparkly heels and an embellished clutch.
2. Les Bos Plus-Size Three-Piece Tiered Chiffon Mother-of-the-Groom Pantsuit in Burgundy
As the mother of the groom, you're not obliged to wear a dress if you don't want to. If your style leans more toward pantsuits, choose an outfit that checks those boxes. This pretty three-piece set, complete with straight-leg pants, a tiered tank top and a chiffon jacket, will bring an effortlessly romantic vibe to your wedding look.
3. Roksanda Alesi Dress in Red
Deep, romantic shades of red make this color-block beauty a perfect dress for the groom's mom. The tea-length skirt is appropriate for a cocktail dress code—and since it's a rental—you don't need an extravagant budget. New RTR customers, spend a minimum of $75 to receive 25% off your first rental with the code TKRENTAL.
4. Le Suit Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Topper Jacket and Sheath Dress Suit in Plum
On the hunt for mother-of-the-groom dresses with jackets? Here's a sleek option that you can totally rewear for other occasions. The knee-length sheath is paired with a matching topper jacket for a gorgeous MOG look. Choose bright statement accessories to accentuate your outfit even further.
5. Adrianna Papell Satin Crepe Ruffled Cropped Jumpsuit in Dark Navy
You'll look amazing in this unique mother-of-the-groom jumpsuit ensemble from Adrianna Papell. From the back, it gives the appearance of a floor-sweeping formal gown, but on the front, the skirt separates to reveal trendy tapered pants. Better yet, the Dark Navy hue will stun at weddings all year round.
6. BHLDN Ruby Satin Charmeuse Dress in Holly
Searching for a long mother-of-the-groom dress for winter weddings? Wear this breathtaking satin maxi in a deep green hue to an evening black-tie or formal soiree. All you need to complete your MOG look is a faux fur wedding shawl and dazzling fine jewelry.
7. St. John Sequin Knit Cap Sleeve Fit-and-Flare Dress with Fringe Trim Detail in Coral
While lightweight forms of silk and satin reign supreme in the warmer months, winter weather calls for seasonally appropriate fabrics like velvet, brocade and textured knits. Pair this sparkly midi with coordinating black or nude shoes and a bedazzled blazer for a formal MOG look.
8. Azazie Belladonna Dress in Cabernet
This black-tie attire-approved gown comes in a wide variety of colors, from pale pastels to rich jewel tones. Cowl drape sleeves add a sophisticated edge to the form-fitting dress, which falls elegantly to the floor. Azazie offers custom sizing in addition to pre-measured sizes 0 to 30, so finding the right fit has never been easier.
9. Teri Jon Metallic Jacquard Ruffle Gown in Gold
Gold is a great color for the mothers of the groom. And it's seasonless, so you can wear it to a wedding at any time of the year. Black-tie or black-tie optional celebrations call for your very best dress, and this long mother-of-the-groom dress certainly fits the bill. An asymmetrical neckline adds an intriguing detail to this otherwise streamlined floor-length gown.
10. Byron Lars Carissima Sheath Petite and Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Dress in Grey Motif
Cool tones are trending right now and this light grey-blue gown is a fabulous example. The size-inclusive dress, which comes in standard, petite and plus sizes, has intricate lace embroidery on the bodice and flows into a fitted pencil skirt. But we simply can't stop staring at the intricate lace design.
11. Adrianna Papell Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Sheath Dress With Three-Quarter Sleeves in Watermelon Bliss
For a spring or summer celebration, this semi-formal mother-of-the-groom dress is one of our favorite Barbiecore-inspired styles. This stylish midi features a boat neckline, three-quarter sleeves and a statement self-tie bow at the waist. It also comes in standard sizes and a rainbow of colorways, from Cobalt Blue to Blush Pink.
12. Sachin & Babi Zoe Gown in Slate and Navy
Traditional evening gowns will always be beautiful, but there's something about this contemporary twist on the classic ball gown that really draws us in. From the vivid navy skirt to the simple satin bodice and chunky belt, it makes a statement without the need for over-the-top design elements or accessories.
13. Adrianna Papell Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Midi-Length Sheath Dress in Black
Feathers are having a major moment, especially in wedding fashion (plumes dominated bridal fashion week). Prepare to seriously impress the other wedding guests when you arrive wearing this fashionable sheath. The bateau neckline, three-quarter sleeves and V-back also make up this wedding mother-of-the-groom dress.
14. Rickie Freeman for Teri Jon Metallic Off-The-Shoulder Cocktail Dress in Blue Gold
Short mother-of-the-groom dresses can be just as fabulous as floor-length gowns, especially when they're covered in sequins, like this glitzy number. It's completed with an off-the-shoulder neckline and a knee-length skirt that's ideal for cocktail parties.
15. Marchesa Multicolor Embroidered Mermaid Gown in Black
A formal dress code doesn't mean you have to throw your personal style out the window. If you have a more whimsical fashion sense (or the wedding will have an ethereal aesthetic), this botanical mother-of-the-groom dress is a gorgeous option. Detailed floral embroidery covers the entire silhouette, from the sleeveless bowed neckline to the maxi-length skirt.
16. Coyan Naia Dress in Sage
Here a casual mother-of-the-groom dresses for outdoor weddings. The wrap-style design feels dressy yet modest, while the midi-length skirt means you can show off some shiny new heels. Basically, you're bound to be complimented on your fashion-forward style in this plus-size MOG outfit.
17. Tadashi Shoji Odette Dress in Silver
Looking forward to a Gatsby-themed or uspcale affair? Try this ornate maxi dress for the mother of the groom. The gorgeous lace overlay, which is studded with sequins in an intricate floral pattern, provides the vintage-inspired glam we love. Add a little sparkle with your accessories and you'll be the trendiest mom around. (Psst: It also comes in gold-hued Honey color.)
18. Alex Evenings Mock Two-Piece Petite Mother-of-the-Groom Dress in Wedgewood
This traditional look could pass as a semi-formal or casual mother-of-the-groom dress. Ultimately, how you choose to accessorize it will determine the level of formality. For a casual wedding event, swap out strappy stilettos for flats, kitten heels or wedges and tone down the jewelry. The Sky Blue and Icy Orchid hues will look great at a daytime wedding, but for an evening affair, choose Navy or Deep Plum.
19. TOME Collective Pleated Halter Dress in Green
There are so many different types of fashionable frocks for the groom's mother to wear at the wedding (and there's a lot to love about all of them). This affordable mother-of-the-groom dress has a simple silhouette that lets the incredible color do all the talking. We'd wear this vibrant green dress to an early fall wedding, plus the breezy, lightweight silhouette will make dancing a blast.
20. Kiyonna Mademoiselle Lace Cocktail Dress in Berry Bliss
This Berry-inspired hue is one of our favorite shades for fall and winter functions. Wear this gorgeous plus-size lace midi for a semi-formal dress code, then get ready for loads of praise. Not sold on the Berry color? The dress comes in other striking jewel tones that'll look equally amazing for your mother-of-the-groom outfit.
21. Banana Republic Belay Silk Top and Silk Pant in Cobalt Blue
Move over mom-of-the-groom dresses, we've found an equally stunning pant and blouse combination. This sleek set, available in standard, tall and petite sizes, will immediately let guests know that you're far from being a regular mom—you're a cool mom. Also, the lightweight silk material is a great choice for warm-weather celebrations in the spring or summer.
22. Adrianna Papell Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Tuxedo Dress in Gold
Semi-formal weddings call for an outfit that harmoniously balances dressy and casual elements. Wearing something with a shorter hemline, like this knee-length wrap dress, will prevent you from looking overly formal. This dress takes it one step further with a tuxedo-inspired wrap design and shiny gold hue. Select from two size options: standard or plus.
23. Oleg Cassini Plus-Size Mother-of-the-Groom Gown with Slit Skirt in Champagne
As a more muted extension of gold, champagne hues are another popular choice for mothers of the groom and bride. (Just make sure that the couple has given you the go-ahead to don this flattering hue since it's sometimes considered a bridal color.) This metallic A-line gown is the perfect choice for moms who want to shimmer all night long.
24. Kiyonna Embroidered Elegance Evening Gown in Onyx
Talk about a beautiful dress for the mother of the groom! This evening gown with floral embroidery will be right at home at a garden wedding, while the illusion mesh sleeves and hemline add an extra layer of detail. One piece of advice: If it's for an outdoor wedding, choose your shoes wisely. Thin heels like stilettos could leave you sinking into the grass.
25. Shoshanna Melrose Blouson-Sleeve Chiffon Midi Dress in Indigo
We're rounding out our picks with a modern mother-of-the-groom dress for dressy casual attire. This refined style is perfect for all seasons, thanks to the semi-sheer sleeves and versatile midi silhouette. Add heeled booties for fall or winter functions, then switch things up with a stylish heeled sandal for spring and summer events.
Monica Mercuri contributed to the reporting of this article.