28 Sand-Ready Shoes for Your Beach Wedding
Tying the knot on the beach? You actually have more footwear options than you realize. "Many brides love the idea of a barefoot wedding right on the sand," says bridal stylist Maradee Wahl. "But be sure to buy glamorous flats or sandals for later" if you're leaving the actual beach. Just keep everyone in the loop at your fitting. If you plan on going shoeless and then want to change into heels at your reception, your seamstress will have to take that into consideration when determining the length of your hem.
If sand between your toes isn't your thing, Walsh recommends wearing wedge heels instead of pointy ones. "They offer more support when you're standing on a sandy beach." We're also big fans of block heels, but there's nothing wrong with flats in this case either (remember, it's your wedding, so you determine the dress code). If you do decide to wear shoes on the beach, we strongly recommend putting down some sort of solid walkway.
If you're a groom, similar advice applies to men's beach wedding shoes. You're welcome to go barefoot—otherwise, think carefully about your footwear. Depending on your event's formality, you may stick to regular dress shoes. But as with any beach wedding, you can also choose to have fun with your dress code—anything from classy boat shoes to sandals is fair game.
Whether you're shopping for sand-ready ceremony shoes or just looking for beachy reception kicks, we've rounded up some creative women's and men's beach wedding shoes to try. Get inspired—or better yet, buy your nuptial footwear on the spot.
Beach Wedding Shoes for a Bride
We've picked the following footwear based on a few key factors. They're sturdy (think: thick, short or nonexistent heels), open (so sand can easily slide in and out) and otherwise on-theme (read: they're special enough for a wedding, but wouldn't look out of place on a beach).
1. Wear these wedges and feel as iconic as the label sewn into them. The heel is sturdy, the jute fabric is beachy and the shimmer is so glam.
Christian Louboutin Almeria leather espadrille wedge sandals in Gold, $795, Net-a-Porter.com
2. Rock Valentino's signature studs without twisting an ankle (sorry, stilettos). These sandals come in three fancy metallic shades.
Valentino Garavani Rockstud cage slide sandal, $695, Nordstrom.com
3. Looking for something more bohemian? These open-toe sandals are a sophisticated choice. They're available in either white or gold.
Mari Giudicelli Vitta sandals in White, $460, Shopbop.com
4. Yep, Zappos sells tons of (affordable!) wedding-worthy shoes. These d'Orsay flats prove you don't have to give up a romantic rhinestone look for a beach wedding. The satin shoes are easy-breezy to slip on and off, not to mention walk in.
Blue by Betsey Johnson Lucy flat, $99, Zappos.com
5. Now this is how you make an elegant flat sandal. The shape feels beachy, but the embellishments scream formal affair.
Jeffrey Campbell Alise embellished sandal, $135, Nordstrom.com
6. These dreamy wrap-around espadrilles are super stylish and summery. We think they're best off the beach—there's less of a chance of sand getting stuck in those closed toes.
ASOS DESIGN Jaylen espadrille wedges in White, $48, ASOS.com
7. Who knew you could score designer shoes on Amazon? Thanks to their partnership with Shopbop, you can. These modern slides have a hidden toe strap to keep them extra-secure.
The Palatines Caeleste origami slides in Gold, $340, Amazon.com
8. If you're not convinced that metallic espadrilles were practically made to be beach wedding shoes (and that beloved bridal shoe designers carry sand-ready heels), here's another example to drive the point home.
Badgley Mischka Holmes espadrille wedge, $198, Nordstrom.com
9. Looking for your something blue? Look no further. These mesh block-heel sandals are pretty and airy (which means a lot when you're standing on a hot beach).
Nina Ganice sandals in Navy, $79, Zappos.com
10. Obsessed with beach motifs? Say hello to these gold thong sandals complete with a sparkly seastar.
Giuseppe Zanotti Bug sandals, $650, Amazon.com
11. A peep toe lets you shake these beach wedding shoes out without taking them off—win. Plus, the white lace is oh-so bridal.
Bella Belle Carrie t-strap flats, $190, BHLDN.com
12. The fun atmosphere gives you all the permission you need to go bold. These rainbow mules (with a structured block heel) are exactly that.
Christian Louboutin Ranimule transparent heel mule, $1,395, Nordstrom.com
13. Squiggle straps resemble waves on these bronze heeled slides.
Patricia Green Palm Beach sandals in Camel Metallic, $196, Zappos.com
14. Whimsical stars upgrade these strappy, beach-appropriate gladiator sandals.
Loeffler Randall Starla sandals, $195, Shopbop.com
Beach Wedding Shoes for a Groom
Searching for unique men's beach wedding shoes? You've come to the right place. Here are some suggestions for the groom who isn't wearing standard dress shoes. We've included everything from cooling kicks (beware of warm-weather sweat) to ones that are simply casual-chic.
1. These woven slip-ons are surprisingly refined for such a beachy material. Bonus: They're handmade.
Nisolo Alejandro woven slip-ons, $178, Nisolo.com
2. Think of these shoes as the perfect blend between a boat shoe and a fancier loafer.
J&M 1850 Bryson tassel loafer, $285, Nordstrom.com
3. Of course, actual boat shoes can also serve as men's beach wedding shoes. Gold eyelets make these feel more formal.
Sperry Authentic Original boat shoes, $95, Zappos.com
4. Buy these penny loafers in any color—the jute trim makes them refreshingly tropical. That being said, we're partial toward the ocean blue version.
Mezlan Battani penny loafers, $375, MezlanWarehouse.com
5. We picked these Spanish loafers for their surprising, lightweight and sand-ready sole.
Magnanni Laguna penny loafer, $299, Nordstrom.com
6. The rope ties on these casual driving loafers are subtly nautical.
Marc Joseph New York Cypress Hill driving shoe, $185, Nordstrom.com
7. We like the wooden look of these thick soles, which will keep your feet farther away from creeping sand.
ASOS DESIGN loafers in Black Leather with Natural Sole and Fringe Detail, $72, ASOS.com
8. What can we say? We've got a thing for basketweaves when it comes to men's beach wedding shoes.
Zanzara Cassatt basketweave derby, $240, Nordstrom.com
9. Don't want to feel the sand between your toes but definitely want to feel the breeze? These perforated lace-ups are for you.
Zanzara Monticello perforated plain toe derby, $195, Nordstrom.com
10. While you probably don't want to get these corduroy smoking slippers anywhere near water, the anchor embroidery is calling all fun-loving beach grooms' names. Save these kicks for your reception.
Sperry Overlook textile smoking slipper, $78, Zappos.com
11. You may know of Tommy Bahama as a popular resort wear brand. It's no wonder they make such beachy men's shoes.
Tommy Bahama Hasslington shoes, $123, Zappos.com
12. Yep, there are men's espadrilles too. You'd never guess that these smart leather ones were weatherproof (read: sun-, sand- and surf-proof).
Aquatalia Zayn weatherproof espadrille, $395, NordstromRack.com
13. Here's another elevated boat shoe to support your sea legs.
Jack Erwin Cooper boat shoe, $125, Nordstrom.com
14. These ventilated loafers are especially dapper—just be sure to treat them with leather protectant before taking them to the beach.
River Island leather woven loafer in Black, $72, ASOS.com
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, some of which may be sponsored by paying vendors.