The Wellwood

Charlestown, MD

Water views, climate controlled banquet pavilion

We are your all-in-one reception & ceremony venue with beautiful water views & unsurpassed service, conveniently located within an hour of Philadelphia, Dover, Lancaster & Baltimore. Our climate-controlled tented Pavilion comfortably hosts up to 300 guests. Our fully trained & uniformed staff tends to your guests throughout your wedding celebration. We offer a variety of menus & beverage packages-Customized isn’t just a word to us; it’s an attitude. Call to schedule your visit today. Let’s make this day exactly what you’ve always dreamed it will be!

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Waterfront, Cruise, Restaurant, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

523 Water St, Charlestown, MD (410) 287-6666

Reviewed on 6/26/2015 Amy K

I could not have been happier in choosing The Wellwood as our wedding venue! The ceremony site is picturesque, overlooking the North East River. Our guests were in absolute awe of the view. A huge rainstorm even held off until after the ceremony and our receiving line took... Read More place. (I am convinced Angela and her staff blew the rain away for us for a few minutes. That’s how amazing they are). When the rain started to sprinkle, our guests were quickly transported a few blocks via the complementary Wellwood shuttle to the huge air-conditioned tent for cocktail hour. Even though, we had originally intended our cocktail hour to be outside with our string trio playing, the transition to inside was seamless. Angela, the event coordinator at The Wellwood, goes above and beyond with every last detail of your wedding to make sure all your wedding-day-visions come true. I am a teacher and am a bit OCD, so I had many visions that with Angela’s help came to fruition. I was able to drop off many items I had made in advance (chalkboard signs, table numbers, guest book, memory table etc.) off about a week in advance. I labeled them all clearly, and Angela and her staff set them up perfectly for our wedding day. I did not have to think about them since I had dropped them off, which trust me, is a bride’s dream! A bride should not have to set up or worry about setting up on her wedding day. Angela even let us borrow an easel for a picture frame for the wedding, which was such a huge help. My favorite moment of the evening was when my husband’s band played at the reception. Angela somehow found a curtain to cover the band so their equipment would not be in our wedding pictures as our sweetheart table was also on the stage. When her staff took away the curtain, it was just like Maroon 5 was playing in the video, Sugar. It was just perfect and was not a detail that I even thought about. This is what Angela does. She goes above and beyond to make sure your day is perfect. Overall, I would highly recommend the Wellwood venue to any couple looking for a perfect, quaint, waterfront venue. Everything is customized to meet your needs and expectations. I was even able to pick out the color of my napkins without an additional charge. Thank you to Angela and her amazing staff! P.S. -If you decide to get married here, inquire about renting The Boathouse Cottage. It is a beautiful one-bedroom cottage on the water a block away from The Wellwood. It was perfect for my bridesmaids and I to get ready in.

2015-06-29T12:44:05 Response from the vendor

Thanks Amy - we had a fabulous time working with you & Chris. Look forward to seeing you soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with peace, love & happiness!

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Lindsey B

I cannot say enough good things about The Wellwood and their event coordinator Angela Heckman! We got married at The Wellwood on 9/19/2015 and our wedding was everything I dreamed it would be! The location has breathtaking views and even the local people that live in the area... Read More are so friendly and welcoming. Angela was so helpful during the planning process, which made for a much smoother and relaxed day for us and our families. She made sure everything we wanted was taken care of and more! She is AMAZING at what she does! Our guests continue to rave about how good the food was, with comments like “best wedding food I’ve ever had” and that they would like to go back there to eat the food was that good. Angela and the staff were very attentive to us the entire day, we never wanted for anything. Our wedding couldn’t of been more perfect. I am so impressed with this beautiful venue and the staff, especially Angela. It’s a great feeling to know that not only were we pleased as the bride and groom, but our guests were also. The comments from our guests we continue to receive are all positive, from the location and views, the service from the staff, and the food & drink...everyone had such a great experience. I seriously could go on and on about this place and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone in search of a wedding venue. My husband and I look forward to going back every year to celebrate our anniversary and can’t thank The Wellwood enough for all their help in making our wedding a day we will always cherish.

2015-10-04T18:16:47 Response from the vendor

Thanks Lindsey - we had an awesome time working with you & Jason. We hope you can come visit with us soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

wedding venue of my dreams!

Reviewed on 5/26/2015 Stephanie C

I was definitely a bride who had a vision, and the Wellwood Club, Angela Heckman and her staff all made that vision a reality. From the waterfront ceremony, to the tented reception with twinkling lights, I was in heaven. And the food? My guests are still talking about the food... Read More and some have even said they want to go down there for dinner on their own just to get more crabcakes!!! From the moment we walked into Charlestown 10 months before our wedding until the morning after, the staff impressed us and catered to our every need. I would get married a million times over if I could have it be just as perfect as it was on our day! Thank you to the entire staff at The Wellwood!!! Joe and Stephanie Slavin

2015-05-27T17:38:58 Response from the vendor

Thanks Stephanie & Joe - it was an honor to host your wedding & reception. Hope you can visit us soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Alexis S

From the moment we walked into the Wellwood, we knew this was the perfect place for our wedding, and couldn't be happier with that decision. Angela and her staff is absolutely wonderful. She made sure our process was as easy as possible from start to finish. Every single one of... Read More our guests have raved so far about the food, setting, etc. the ceremony site was beautiful, and it did help that the weather was perfect that day. The water helped make the pictures so incredible. We absolutely recommend the Wellwood!!!!!!

Reviewed on 8/29/2017 Heather E

We were recently married at The Wellwood on May 6, 2017. I was hoping to give this venue a 5 star review but that is not the case. The coordinator over promised and under delivered on the biggest day of our lives. The planning process went smoothly in the beginning other than... Read More her taking weeks to respond to my emails. Please note that this will happen if you sign with this venue. The response given to us was that the emails would go to her spam folder, so why not check that folder? On the wedding day, we were totally blindsided. To ensure that our day was perfect and that I did not get wind of any issues, the groom had to take matters into his own hands, and set everything up, with little time to prepare himself for the most important day of our lives. He ended up having to set up the reception area although the coordinator assured us multiple times that her staff would. We signed with them for this reason. As a result of this venues lack of customer service, the groom/groomsmen showed up to the ceremony with 5 minutes to spare. We did not get our first look pictures, or exchange our gifts with each other prior to the ceremony. The coordinator had knowledge of our plan. The staff did not offer to lift a finger. My uncle had to arrange the seating cards because after an hour of being in the coordinators hands, they were still not set up. My advice; get EVERYTHING Angela says and agrees to in writing! The coordinator did not have the grandparents attend rehearsal because she would take care of making sure they were seated properly, that did not happen. There was no coordination, as promised. The runner was never put down, with no explanation why. The white sheet on the arbor was dirty with stains, the cupcake boxes went "missing" although they were sat on the cake table and they ran out of crab cakes and salad! Please note, 8 people did not show to the wedding so there was no excuse why they ran out of food. The beef was well overcooked and dry-inedible to most people. The staff at first, was not willing to clean up the ceremony space. My best man spoke to Angela and she said she was not aware they had to do that. They finally did and threw our expensive decor in the corner of the welcome area. Sure, the venue is beautiful and we had compliments; however, the lack of customer service we received was not acceptable for the price we paid. I would not recommend this venue to anyone. We contacted them to let them know our concerns and that we should be accommodated. The "owner" or "manager"(he called himself both), told us they did nothing wrong and that our guests seemed to be having a great time setting up the venue. No, it was not a great time to them. They had to because it wasn’t getting done. The groom/groomsmen should NOT have to do what we paid the venue to do! We contacted the venue twice with one response back, and they offered no resolution. The second email we sent was ignored. The venue did acknowledge some of the things that were wrong that were in the contract but still did NOT offer a resolution. They showed no remorse for their actions and basically told us to have a nice life. By not replying to my second email shows they have no respect for the customers. This is very unprofessional and if I were you I would think twice about signing with this venue because they make things seem great at first and then it’s a different story when the big day rolls around, they got what they wanted, the money!

Reviewed on 7/07/2017

10/15/2016 Wow.. Where do I even begin?! I knew our wedding was going to be special, but we were honestly blown away by EVERYTHING. We had our rehearsal dinner at the River shack(located on the premises) which was very informal and relaxing ; We rented the ceremony site on... Read More the water point and that turned out very nice – the weather was absolutely perfect and the pictures with the water and the sunset in the background were beautiful! We rented the the Boathouse Cottage for the whole weekend which is walking distance to the ceremony site and the reception, It was perfect for my bridesmaids and I to spend the the nite before the wedding and get our hair done and get dressed and relax before our ceremony; it was nice to have a place to keep our belongings in during the reception and my husband and I spent our wedding nite there too! From the attentive, fast and extremely helpful and friendly staff on-site, to the set up and delicious food, every single detail was absolutely perfect . Our guests raved about everything ! I don't know if we could ever have/experience such a perfect day ever again! Everything was beyond my expectations! It's a wonderful feeling knowing that the BEST wedding I've ever been to was OUR own wedding! We're still on cloud nine and it's truly a day we will cherish forever. Working with Angela was a blessing because right off the bat, she made us feel like family and was always quick to respond to my many questions! I 100% recommend Wellwood because it has everything to offer - prime location, beautiful water views, delicious food, spacious floor plan , excellent staff and the most involved and invested owner! If you want an unforgettable wedding, have your wedding at the Wellwood; Everything was perfect! Leah and Anthony 10/15/16

Reviewed on 6/06/2017 Eric D

Everything went as smoothly as possible. It was a great day thanks to the helpful staff and their careful planning.

Reviewed on 5/12/2017 anne m

Angela - the wedding planner - at the Wellwood in Charlestown, Maryland went over and beyond anything I could have wanted or expected to help make our waterfront wedding and reception the best. From food choices to reception decor, wedding decor and making all aspects of this... Read More special day come together perfectly Angela was amazing. I would definitely recommend this venue - and Angela - for any special occasion you are planning. She really took the stress and questions off my mind. Thank you very much.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Nicole T

We absolutely loved The Wellwood and their amazing staff. Angela was great to work with, she really took the time walking us through the process and customizing the day to our personalities. Angela was so knowledgeable on everything from suggestions on vendors, best time of day... Read More for pictures, to filing for a marriage license. The wedding day itself was pure perfection ,the guests could not stop raving about how accommodating and polite the staff was, how amazing the food tasted, and how beautiful the whole thing was laid out. The Wellwood really is a hidden gem in Charlestown MD and we are beyond grateful we had the opportunity to share such a memorable day with our family and friends here.

2016-10-18T20:46:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you! It was our honor to host your wedding celebration. We had a great time working with you to create a fabulous day. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

Reviewed on 9/26/2016 Mary L

On 9/24/16, the Wellwood was the site for our daughter's wedding and we could not have been more pleased with the outcome. It was a pleasure working with Angela Heckman leading up to the big day. Angela anticipated every need and was responsive beyond measure. The... Read More dinner/reception following the ceremony was well coordinated and the site beautifully decorated. Can't say enough about how special the day was!

2016-10-02T17:56:19 Response from the vendor

Thank you! We had a fabulous time working with you on your daughter's wedding day. We wish Katie & Jason a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

Wedding at the Wellwood

Reviewed on 10/28/2015

Last weekend we celebrated the wedding of our daughter and future son-in-law at The Wellwood. From the moment we met Angela she made us feel welcomed. If you want a stress free wedding (or as much as it can be) I would highly recommend the Wellwood. Our kids had their dream... Read More wedding from the ceremony to reception. Thank you to Angela and The Wellwood for all that you did to make their day perfect. Katie Mother of the Bride

2015-10-28T19:41:00 Response from the vendor

Thanks Katie! - it was our pleasure working with your family to create Jen & Ryan's dream wedding. Hope you can visit with us again soon. Here's to a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

Perfect Wedding Venue!

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Michelle R

I really can't say enough about our wedding at The Wellwood. Angela, the event coordinator, is truly amazing. From the first minute we arrived to look at the site, she was so accommodating and friendly! Anytime I had a questions, even if it was some obscure question, she was... Read More able to answer it. Once it got closer to our wedding date, she was attentive and ready to do whatever we asked. We had a meeting the week before our wedding to iron out all the details of the ceremony site (we used Long Point Park 2 blocks down from The Wellwood) and the reception. Everything we talked about was exactly how we wanted it at both the ceremony and the reception. We were able to drop off all items (table numbers, place cards, decorations, favors, etc) the week of the wedding and her staff set up the all of it. It was all perfect! One of my favorite things Angela did was ask if we wanted sunset pictures, which we did. She then made sure to get us outside with our photographer at sunset. She even told us to stay about 5 more minutes to get a deep purple color in the sunset, and she was right! I mean she has this down to a science. Even after my, now husband smashed cake in my hair (don't worry it was pretty evenly matched), she got a napkin and wiped all the cake and blue frosting out of my hair. She is really the type to go above and beyond. All the staff was top-notch as well. There wasn't one employee at the reception that wasn't helpful or friendly! As the bride and groom the staff will literally cater to you. Whatever you want they will get for you. The food was AMAZING. We got so many compliments about the food and service. People were truly impressed. The tent is great. It can hold a lot of people and we had a smaller wedding so I was a little worried it would seem too big for our party. NOPE, they spaced it perfectly! There isn't one single complaint that I have about The Wellwood, Angela and her staff. If you want a perfect venue for a decent price, with beautiful backdrops, this is it! I couldn't be happier with our choice to have our wedding and reception at The Wellwood! Also to note, ask about renting the cottage across the street. It is a cute little place that has an AMAZING water view! Thank you to The Wellwood, Angela and her staff for the great service and proving us with our dream wedding!

2015-10-28T14:27:59 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Michelle! We had a wonderful time working with you in creating your perfect day. We hope you can come visit us soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with love, peace & happiness!

Couldn't of had a smoother night.

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Diana V

I have never heard of the Wellwood until my step mother found it on the internet. So i booked an appointment to tour the property. From the time we arrived to the end of the night of the day of I have to say Angela was so much help! We booked the venue with out even trying the... Read More food we where so impressed with the price per person for a waterfront venue and property. Since we toured the property in fall we had to imagine how it would appear in the summer Angela did a great job with that showing pictures and pointing things out as we walked around. I never even thought about the food but we decided to go with several family members for lunch one day. My food concern where immediately washed away! We all ordered something different and OMG the food is so good! The amount of seafood in the dishes and the taste it all came out fresh and hot! I am extremely picky eater i do not just eat anywhere! Lets just say since the wedding I have been back to The Wellwood multiple times! Angela is a very very busy lady at one time i was concerned because I was not hearing back from her, she did eventually get back to me explained she had a person emergency and sincerely apologized. We are all human and stuff happens so i understood! We got back on track she suggested many vendors and ideas to help out with the planning. I had two emails for her and a phone number so it was a breeze staying in contact with her! For the day of the rehearsal dinner she introduced her assistant Jennifer she was so much help! We had our rehearsal dinner at the crab shack at the Wellwood. Although my wedding party members complained about the slow service and the food was not up to par. I explained we are a big party about 30 guest and the food is not going to come out all at once. I was more patient that day then my grooms wedding party! They should of provided extra wait staff and extra help in the kitchen for our big party plus regular guest. I think it was just 2 or 3 people that did not care for their food, in the end everything went extremely well! The big day finally was here boy was I nervous, you always here about something going wrong or the time line being screwed up just something not being correct. I tell you I did not have one single problem! Angela and Jennifer went out of the way to stay in contact with all my vendors and make sure everything ran smoothly. If there was a problem i never heard about it! The little things make Angela and her staff so great. My step father has extremely bad asthma they got him a parking pass to park at the ceremony site you would of thought Jennifer was his personal assistant for the day asking if he needed anything giving him priority on everything! He had nothing but great things to say about the staff and the wedding day. If you knew my step father you'd be surprised about all the great comments he had! I was so happy everyone LOVED the food i opted for a buffet style and even to this day people still tell me how great the food was even the grooms wedding party. I even got about an hour or so of uninterrupted time that i had asked Angela for to actually enjoy my wedding. I can't say anything bad about the Wellwood and the staff if I had to do it over again I would not change anything that had to do with the venue and their staff!!! Now changing other things uh yeah.... If I could give the Wellwood a higher rating than 5 stars I would! This is a venue not be to skipped over! Even just a nice place to grab something to eat!!

2015-09-23T11:21:04 Response from the vendor

Thank you! We had a great time working with you and your family in creating a fun celebration. Look forward to seeing you soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with peace, love & happiness!

Reviewed on 9/22/2015 Shannon C

My husband & I got married here 5/23/15. It was of course a Gorgeous day we lucked out with Beautiful weather. Clear blue skies over looking the water. Everything was Perfect! We dropped everything off a week before our wedding. Angela and her staff set everything up for us!... Read More Angela made sure everything was Perfect & I mean Perfect! The food was amazing, everything was so organized! We would highly recommend The Wellwood. To anyone looking to get married out the water! We honestly don't have one complaint! Thank you to The Wellwood ( Angela ) for making our wedding a dream come true! Shannon & Jesse Skatuler 5/23/15

2015-09-23T11:17:03 Response from the vendor

Thanks Shannon - we had a great time working with you & Jesse. Look forward to seeing you soon. Best wishes for a lifetime filled with peace, love & happiness!

Unbelievable!

Reviewed on 7/19/2013 Alyssa M

Wow! is all I have to say. Angela, the program coordinator at the Wellwood was fantastic. Prior to the wedding, she kept in touch with me and helped me along and made planning so super easy. Because she has done many weddings, she was able to offer some awesome ideas that I had... Read More never thought of. She was super flexible! The ceremony site was absolutely gorgeous and the fact that they have an A/C tent is even better! I would recommend this venue to ANYONE who is getting married!

Wellwood wedding

Reviewed on 6/22/2013 Agatha G

Ceremony location on the water was lovely and intimate. Reception tent nicely arranged and spacious, staff was extremely attentive. Served us at the sweetheart table personally, and one of our grandfathers was served a dinner plate (rather than going to the buffet we chose) and... Read More attended to particularly because he ambulates with a cane. Angela, the event coordinator was very polite and helpful, but difficult to reach at times, and there was a miscommunication about set up for the reception. We could only begin set up of decorations 2 hours before the ceremony.

My wedding at the Wellwood

Reviewed on 4/06/2013 Amy W

Everything was perfect!! I had my rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception at the Wellwood. The staff was so personable, the food was great, and everything was set up the way it was supposed to be! I did not have to worry about a thing!! We stayed in the little honeymoon boat... Read More house as well which was the perfect touch to a wonderful night!! Most of my guests told me it was the best food they have ever tasted!! Feel free to contact me for more information! Thank You to ALL the staff at the Wellwood!

Perfect Day!

Reviewed on 10/22/2012 Colleen C

Everything, I mean everything was taken care of. They were so organized, everything ran perfectly. Angela, the event coordinator was hard to get a hold of by email, and I'm more comfortable with having record of everything, but that was solved by emailing her then calling her... Read More and letting her know I wanted some questions answered in writing and she had an email from me. Over all these guys were great. Everyone raved about the food, how smooth everything ran, and how beautiful it was there. Angela took care of everything, set up all my decorations (minus florists' stuff), perfect! I couldn't say enough good about this place!

Pretty satisfied..

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Joddi A

We used the outdoor ceremony site at the Wellwood, which was absolutely beautiful with the water in the background. There was a shuttle that took guests from the reception site to the ceremony and back. A shuttle was also provided to one local hotel of your choice so that... Read More guests did not have to drive at all. The food was delicious and received compliments from almost every guest. The only complaint I would make was the wedding coordinator, Angela. I am sure she is very busy and probably could benefit from an assistant. I just did not feel like she was always available to me and trying to make my day as special as it could be. I often did not hear from her until after several attempts and there were times that she seemed almost irritated and not very pleasant. Even the day of the wedding I did not get any warm and fuzzy feelings from her! I think if she were more friendly and made me feel more special on this big day, I would have been more impressed. The price is also kind of deceiving at first because it does not cost much to rent the facility but every single little thing cost extra money and by the end it was definitely over our budget!

Great wedding

Reviewed on 7/11/2012 Mallory R

We had a beautiful day for our wedding! Got married outside and had our reception under the tent. All of our guests loved the space, atmosphere, and especially the food! The only drawback to the Wellwood is they are a little expensive. They would not let us lock in our prices... Read More two years in advance and so we booked the date but had to wait a year to see updated prices on the contract (and of course the prices went up). However it mostly went well the day of our wedding and we had a blast.

Great Wedding!

Reviewed on 6/14/2012 Brittany H

The Wellwood was everything we dreamed of for our wedding day! Angela was the main point of contact at The Wellwood for the wedding. Overall, I would say she did a good job, however if you want to get answers in a timely matter she was not the person to do that. It is very... Read More stressful planning a wedding and I would have liked to have her respond to my e-mail in a timely matter. There were times that I had to send the same e-mail 3 times before she would get around to responding. I found it better to call her on items. She would call back within 24 hours, but with some of the items I wanted to have it in writing so that became a issue. She was very responsive about a week before the wedding date but before that I was getting frustrated on her response time. The staff at the Wellwood that day of the wedding was amazing, the food was great as well as the drinks. They were very flexible with all the requests we made. We also rented the ceremony site on the water point and that turned out very nice. Overall, I would recommend The Wellwood to friends or family. Its a great restaurant too! We will be returning for a good meal!

WONDERFUL!!!!

Reviewed on 6/07/2012 Lauren T

THE WELLWOOD CLUB IS ALL AROUND AMAZING THEY NOT ONLY HAVE WONDERFUL SETTING AND FOOD! THE STAFF IS A STEP ABOVE THE REST!