10 Traditional Wedding Gifts Every Couple Loves
When it comes to traditional wedding gifts, there's a reason why certain items endure through the ages. The best traditional wedding gifts are items that a couple will use and enjoy often, but wouldn't necessarily think to buy for themselves, like fine china, crystal stemware, high-quality kitchen tools, chef-approved cookware and sought-after small appliances.
As any wedding guest knows, selecting the perfect gift can be challenging. After all, every couple has different tastes! That's why to-be-weds take the time to create a personalized registry. If you're looking for traditional gift ideas, a couple's registry is a great place to start (Psst: if your couple is registered with The Knot you can find their wish list here.) The Knot Registry is a great resource because it allows couples to add coveted items, sync their registries at other retailers, create cash funds and even give to charities.
Whether you're shopping for the perfect gift or creating your wedding registry, we've rounded up some of the best traditional gift ideas that are classic, timeless and loved by many.
In this article:
Iconic Home Brands Couples Love
Looking for a traditional gift for your loved one or wedding registry but aren't sure where to begin? Start by exploring these iconic home brands that couples love. From fine china and crystal to chef-approved cookware, these brands have a reputation for standing the test of time.
- KitchenAid: Perfect for newlyweds who are setting up their kitchen or couples who simply want to take their culinary skills to the next level, KitchenAid's suite of appliances and cookware are iconic for a reason. Designed with home cooks in mind, KitchenAid's versatile products are easy to use, easy to clean and look great in the kitchen. From the iconic stand mixer (you know the one) to knife sets, toaster ovens and grills, KitchenAid products make perfect wedding gifts.
- Le Creuset: This iconic French brand has been synonymous with luxury and style since 1925. Le Creuset cookware is known for its quality, durability and performance. A favorite among discerning chefs and home cooks alike, Le Creuset's carefully crafted products are superb for gift-giving because they come in a huge range of beautiful colors meant to add a chic look to the kitchen.
- Waterford: Since 1783, this revered Irish brand is known for creating the finest quality crystal sought out by collectors and connoisseurs alike. If you're looking for a traditional gift, you can't go wrong with Waterford crystal. The line offers everything from fine glassware and ornate figurines to flatware and dinnerware sets, all of which make perfect gift ideas.
- Lenox: Since 1889, this celebrated brand has specialized in high-quality tableware and ornamental collectibles. Think: beautiful flatware sets, glassware, table accessories, stoneware and china that's available as individual pieces or as 5-piece place settings. Lenox is perfect for newlyweds who are looking to turn their house or apartment into a home.
- Zwilling J.A. Henckels: A wedding registry favorite, Zwilling J.A. Henckels is known for its high-quality precision-forged knives, cookware and flatware that make beautiful and practical wedding gifts. Refined over centuries and made to last, Zwilling J.A. Henckels products are designed to make food prep easy, seamless and enjoyable. From complete knife sets and silverware to high-quality pots and pans, Zwilling J.A. Henckels offers plenty of gift ideas for newlyweds.
Traditional Wedding Gifts Couples Love
When it comes to traditional gifts, the most popular ones are items that are practical, beautiful and help a couple set up their life together. Need some inspiration? Here are some must-have traditional wedding gifts that are widely loved by newlyweds.
KitchenAid Artisan Series 10-Speed 5 Qt. Stand Mixer
Baking delicious treats never goes out of style, and that's just part of the reason why this much-loved KitchenAid stand mixer remains a wedding registry favorite. Its versatile, comes in a rainbow of different hues and, most importantly, makes mixing ingredients and kneading dough a breeze. A kitchen essential through and through, this sturdy and beautiful stand mixer is the perfect traditional gift for couples who love to make delicious treats together.
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Dutch Oven with Lid
If you're looking for a traditional wedding gift, you can't go wrong with a cast-iron Dutch oven, like this iconic Le Creuset piece. Dutch ovens are incredibly versatile—you can use them to make everything from pasta and rice to hearty stews and casseroles. This Le Creuset signature cast iron round Dutch oven is oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and can also be used on the stovetop. Even better: Unlike a lot of cast iron cookware, it's dishwasher safe and comes in a variety of different colors.
Lenox Eternal Gold Rim Dinner Plate
Fine china is a popular traditional gift for couples because it helps newlyweds create a home where they'll be able to entertain and host their loved ones for years to come. When it comes to this Lenox dinner plate, the name says it all. Made of ivory bone china, the gorgeous design features inner and outer borders decorated with beautiful 24-karat gold accents. The look is at once timeless and modern.
Waterford Elegance Crystal White Wine Glass, Set of 2
Cheers to married life! Crystal stemware is another popular traditional gift for newlyweds who enjoy entertaining or want to upgrade their date nights. Handmade and BPA-free, this set of Waterford wine glasses are sure to add some serious elegance and sophistication to any table.
Kate Spade New York Willow Drive Dinnerware Set, Service for 4
Every couple deserves to dine in style, which is why dinnerware is yet another popular traditional wedding gift idea. This charming set by Kate Spade New York is made of high-quality stoneware and includes bowls, dinner plates and salad plates for four people. Elegant yet understated, it's dishwasher-safe and perfect for adding a touch of style to everyday meals and casual entertaining.
Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro "S" 18-Piece Knife Block Set
Anyone who's suffered through using dull, poor-quality knives knows the importance of having a good set in the kitchen. This stainless steel knife block set by Zwilling J.A. Henckels has everything a couple needs when setting up their kitchen, including a boning knife, a bread knife, a chef's knife, a paring knife, a Santoku knife, a utility knife, a peeling knife, kitchen shears, honing steel, and a knife block. It's the perfect gift for couples who love cooking together and want to keep their culinary skills sharp—literally.
Oneida Comet 20-Piece Flatware Set, Service for 4
As far as wedding gift ideas go, an elegant set of everyday flatware is always a winning choice. Couples who are starting their lives together will rejoice at the opportunity to shed old mismatched cutlery in favor of something stylish and understated, like this sleek set from Oneida. Made of stainless steel and virtually tarnish-free, this dishwasher-safe set is sure to add a touch of sophistication to any meal (takeout included).
All-Clad D3 10-Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set
The right cookware set can last a lifetime while upping your cooking game to pro-level status. Most couples wait until their wedding to splurge on a set of high-quality pots and pans, making them one of the most popular traditional gifts for couples. This All-Clad 10-piece cookware set is perfect for aspiring home cooks and includes a variety of pieces, each designed with 3-ply heating for optimal performance and fast, even heat distribution.
Gorham Fairfax 2-Piece Cake Serving Set
Calling all dessert lovers! A gorgeous sterling silver cake serving set adds instant style to any celebration. However, it's an item that couples rarely think to buy for themselves—hence, the reason it's a popular traditional gift for weddings. This beautiful and timeless duo from Gorham features a cake knife and pie server crafted out of sterling silver. They'd even be great for a newlywed couple to use on their wedding day.
Godinger Silver Art Co. Scotland 5-Piece Crystal Whiskey Decanter Set
Who wouldn't want to pour their favorite spirit in style? Crystal decanters have long been a traditional gift choice for weddings—however, with the popular resurgence of bar carts as home decor, they're also a totally modern gift idea. Made by Godinger Silver Art Co., this set comes with a square decanter and four traditional whiskey glasses adorned in a stunning cut crystal diamond pattern.