44 Of-The-Moment Rustic Wedding Ideas You'll Love
Many wedding themes come and go over the years, but one style continues to remain a prominent fixture in the world of weddings: rustic-themed weddings. Even though rustic weddings aren't going away anytime soon, the style is continually evolving so we've gathered some of our favorite of-the-moment rustic wedding ideas to inspire your own outdoorsy celebration. After all, one potential drawback with mainstay wedding styles is that it's easy to feel inundated with just how much inspiration is out there. This inspiration, and accompanying expert advice, is pared down to help inspire you, without all the overwhelm. Many years ago rustic weddings were filled with burlap tablecloths and mason jars tied with twine. However, the rustic weddings of today, as you'll see below, look a bit more refined and often incorporate wildflowers, pampas grass and dreamy string lights. Prepare to be inspired by woodsy and country weddings that featured an upgraded approach to the rustic wedding theme.
In this story:
- Rustic Wedding Frequently Asked Questions
- Rustic Stationery Ideas
- Rustic Wedding Fashion Inspiration
- Rustic Wedding Flower Arrangements and Bouquets
- Rustic Wedding Signage and Details
- Rustic Wedding Ceremony Venues and Decor
- Rustic Wedding Reception Venues and Decor
- Rustic Wedding Cake Inspiration
Rustic Wedding Frequently Asked Questions
How does rustic differ from boho or country aesthetics?
"Rustic is about how the elements are utilized in my mind. It's about a material in a natural format (think live edge-wood tables, cheese boards, blown glass drinkware), whereas boho styling is much more polished and can veer into crafty and floral heavy. Country weddings are more in the vein of using materials like leather, metal studs, and fringe details. Rustic events to me are about wood, stone, moss & mixed metals - elements grounded in nature," says Jordan Kentris of A Good Day.
How can couples ensure their rustic wedding feels fresh and not outdated?
"Rustic can be a very generic term and can be interpreted in many different ways. It does not always have to pertain to the tired barn wedding look. Certain rustic elements have become very trendy when paired and designed correctly. Certain venues also yield the most beautiful rustic designs, like an outdoor, tented wedding or sprawling mountainous views that complement the rustic look and feel. Eliminating dated rustic elements like mason jars, chalkboards, burlap and extremely authentic barn venues will be the first step to getting rid of the stereotype that rustic weddings lack taste. Incorporating some other elegant and formal design details like formal glassware, linen and lush floral will bring the rustic aesthetic to a fresh level, and will also suppress the stereotype that rustic weddings are a dated look," says wedding planner Kristen Gosselin of KG Events & Design.
Rustic Stationery Ideas
Once you've settled on your wedding theme and color palette, figuring out your stationery design is one of the first tasks you'll want to handle with your wedding planner. In addition to some ideas to kick off your brainstorm below, we've gathered even more rustic stationery inspiration for you here.
1. Cigars and Match Boxes with Green Monogram
Repeating a monogram or motif across multiple stationery items is a great way to reinforce your rustic theme and wedding colors.
2. Navy-and-Green Wedding Invitation with Monogram
A ranch-inspired monogram, paired with a mountain range illustration, made this wedding invitation perfect for a country affair.
3. Beige-and-White Wedding Stationery with Plaid Envelope Liner
A fun envelope liner, like this buffalo plaid pick, is a great way to upgrade your wedding invitation suite.
4. Classic Wedding Invitation with Wildflower Envelope Liner
Here, a floral envelope liner added a pop of personality to the wedding invitation suite.
5. Blue-and-White Stationery with Moose Motif and Custom Monogram
For their wedding in Colorado, this couple wove a moose icon throughout the stationery design.
Rustic Wedding Fashion Inspiration
From bridesmaid dresses and other wedding party attire to your own wedding dress or suit, the decision of what to wear for the wedding day is a big one.
6. Couple in Lace Wedding Dresses for Nuptials at Llama Farm
These brides donned lace wedding dresses for their outdoor big day hosted at a farm with llamas in the mountains of North Carolina.
7. Bride Wearing White Cowboy Boots
Cowboy boots are always a great idea for a rustic wedding.
8. Flower Girls in Flowy White Dresses for Desert Wedding
Flowy dresses in a neutral color are a great option for flower girls and bridesmaids alike.
Rustic Wedding Flower Arrangements and Bouquets
When thinking about the floral arrangements—from bouquets and boutonnieres to centerpieces and installations—for your rustic big day, baby's breath, ferns, succulents, scabiosa and poppies are all botanicals that would feel right at home. However, it's ultimately best to consult your florist and tap into their expertise for your designs. Your florist will know which blooms will be in-season and easily sourced. If you need even more flower inspiration, let these unique wedding flower ideas inspire you.
9. Fall Wedding Bouquet with Mauve Roses and Dried Foliage
Complementary shades of caramel and beige brought a harmonious vibe to this fall wedding bouquet.
10. Peach-Hued Fall Wedding Centerpiece with Ranunculus and Dried Ferns
Dried foliage, like the brown ferns seen here, is a good option for adding a rustic touch to your floral arrangements.
11. Grouping of Plants in Terracotta Pots
Instead of one big floral arrangement at the end of the ceremony aisle, this couple opted for a grouping of smaller designs in terracotta pots.
12. Minimal Centerpiece with Greenery, Daisies and Roses
The loose nature of this centerpiece gave it a just-picked feel, perfect for a wildflower-inspired design.
13. Summer Wedding Bouquet with Sunflowers, Thistles and Greenery
If you love this sunflower bouquet, get inspired by even more sunflower wedding ideas here.
14. Spring Wedding Bouquet with Pink Poppies
Pink poppies brought this springtime bouquet to life.
15. Beautiful Wedding Bouquet with Scabiosa and Roses
Dark burgundy scabiosa blooms contrasted beautifully with the white roses seen here.
Rustic Wedding Signage and Details
It's easy to feel overwhelmed by all the rustic wedding decorations on Etsy and Pinterest. Our best advice is to connect with your wedding planner and decide which wedding day tasks can become DIY projects and which ones are worth outsourcing in order to save you stress. To make it one step easier for you to bring your rustic wedding to life, we've also rounded up some shoppable must-haves for your rustic celebration.
16. Beautiful Wedding Table Number with Calligraphy and Pressed Ferns
This Colorado couple pressed ferns into gold-rimmed frames for their table numbers.
17. Custom Wood Bar Front with Calligraphy Signage
The custom bar front at this wedding was a cute homage to the couple's signature cocktail.
18. Escort Cards in Garden Box Inspired by Plant Stakes
To-be-weds with a green thumb, this gardening-inspired display is for you.
19. Model Horse with Calligraphy as Rustic Table Number
Calligraphed model horses as table numbers paid homage to the bride's love of horses at this California wedding.
20. Wood Duck Hunting Calls as Groomsmen Gifts
At this wedding, the groom gifted his groomsmen personalized wood duck calls to express his gratitude for their love and support
21. Wood Wedding Welcome Sign with Calligraphy and Greenery
For rustic weddings, wood is a great material to utilize for wedding decorations and signage.
22. Horseshoe Escort Card Display
If you're tying the knot on a horse ranch, take a cue from this couple and use horseshoes in your escort card display.
Rustic Wedding Ceremony Venues and Decor
Your ceremony is the focus of your wedding day, and it will be a highlight in your wedding pictures, so it's important to spend some time thinking not only about making the ceremony space match your theme but also about designing an area that will truly excite you.
23. Outdoor Wedding Ceremony in a Forest Clearing
Selecting ceremony chairs in a light wood hue was a great decision at this ceremony; it ensured the rental didn't look out of place in the natural setting.
24. Outdoor Wedding Ceremony on Terrace Overlooking Mountain Range
This couple's terrace venue ensured everyone was able to enjoy sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains.
25. Wood Pews with Magnolia Leaf Aisle Arrangements
Magnolia leaves are a great addition to Southern and rustic weddings alike.
26. Pampas Grass Aisle Arrangement for Fall Wedding
Pampas grass is often incorporated into boho weddings, but this aisle is proof that the foliage has a place in rustic weddings, too.
27. Lakeside Outdoor Wedding Ceremony Among Towering Trees
To blend their ceremony with the natural surroundings as much as possible this couple chose a winding aisle and benches placed between the trees.
28. Rustic Chic Wedding Ceremony in the Desert
A ceremony setup in the middle of the desert afforded guests sweeping views of the surrounding area.
29. Outdoor Wedding Ceremony with a Rustic Theme
A stone archway anchored this couple's wedding ceremony in Texas.
30. Wood Mandap with Rustic Decorations for Fall Wedding
Dark wood brought a rustic feel to the mandap at this couple's Hindu wedding.
31. Outdoor Wedding Ceremony with Rustic Tree Backdrop
Instead of decorating their altar with an arch, this couple chose to tie the knot in front of a towering tree.
32. Greenery-Covered Wedding Arch for Ceremony with Mountain Views
Greenery lined the aisle at this ceremony beckoning the couple toward the greenery-clad arch at the altar.
Rustic Wedding Reception Venues and Decor
From a wood barn filled with DIY wedding decorations to a tent overlooking a rugged mountain range, there are plenty of ways to bring a rustic-chic aesthetic into your reception and accompanying wedding decor and tablescapes. Ready to book a rustic wedding venue? Check out these local wedding venue options.
33. Farm Tables and Wood Cross-Back Chairs for Reception with Pink-and-Beige Wedding Colors
Soft colors gave this rustic reception a romantic twist.
34. Wedding Reception in the Desert with String Lights
Guests enjoyed this wedding reception under a canopy of both string lights and starlight as the sun set.
35. Rustic Lounge Furniture with Cow Hide Details
Leather details are a great addition to any rustic-inspired wedding.
36. Farm Tables with Yellow Table Runners and Wood Cross-Back Chairs
If you're having wood farm tables at your wedding, consider table runners instead of traditional linens to show off your rentals.
37. Tented Wedding Reception Filled with Rustic Wedding Decor
Greenery decorations brought the natural surrounding into the tent for a seamless aesthetic at this wedding.
38. Reception Pavilion with Greenery Entryway Decor
Guests entered the pavilion for this reception through a greenery arch installation.
39. Tented Wedding Reception with Woven Chandelier and Wood Folding Chairs
Lighting is something that can sometimes be an afterthought. However, when you give your lighting choices the attention they deserve they can become a whimsical focal point.
40. Rustic Chic Wood Tables for Wedding Reception in the Woods
Wood rentals felt right at home at this forest wedding reception in Pennsylvania.
Rustic Wedding Cake Inspiration
These rustic wedding cake ideas will help you make the sweet end to your reception an on-theme treat for guests to enjoy. You can find even more amazing wedding cake and cupcake inspiration here.
41. One-Tier Wedding Cake with Dried Foliage Decorations
Dried foliage ensured this small cake had a big personality.
42. Three-Tier Wedding Cake on Rustic Wood Cake Stand
Cake table accents, like cake stands, a knife and server and toasting flutes are small details but, when given proper attention, they can help reinforce the wedding's rustic theme.
43. Three-Tier Wedding Cake with Cowhide-Inspired Surface Decoration
In keeping with the day's ranch influences, this cake's design was inspired by cowhide patterns.
44. Three-Tier Wedding Cake with Bark-Inspired Frosting and Rose Cake Topper
A tree-inspired wedding cake was on offer at this woodsy wedding.